This is my entry for Mini LD 50: Demakes inspired by The Legend of Zelda.
Play as Rink and save Xelda by finding a magical artifact in forgotten ruins. Jump, Shield and Attack. It is a web game – a real web game: You can play it right now in your browser without any plugins!
What went right
- The graphics and the music were very easy to create I use GIMP and beepbox.co.
Actually the sprite of Rink was done quite some time ago and i finally wanted to make a game with it.
- Thanks to Tiled i did not have to write my own Map-Editor, instead i googled for a way to load Tiled maps to JS and display them on a canvas and found a tutorial at: http://hashrocket.com/blog/posts/using-tiled-and-canvas-to-render-game-screens
- I used circles as a collision detection which is very easy to code and still very accurate. You can see the collision system at work by pressing [ENTER] ingame.
What went wrong
- I dont know if this qualifies as wrong, but it took me a little longer than 2 days, because i worked on the game during normal week days and not the weekend. I hope 3 week days equal 2 weekend days. Also working on the game reduced my preferred sleeping time by some hours, but that was already out of order and so i just slept as much as i did before the MiniLD.
- The interaction mechanics are not introduced ingame, so you have to know from other Zelda games, that the electrically charged slimes should/can not be attacked, and you have to find out yourself, how to use the shield (Press down 😉 ).
- I did not have enough time to create a challenging boss ai
- The Game is short.
- Google Drive seems to have a hidden download limit, so i had to delete and reupload the audio files multiple times. Maybe that was because i reloaded the page too often during debugging. Is Dropbox better? – AHRG! It happend again. And again…
Oh, look, someone wrote something about me I feel important
Mini LD50: Xeldas Saga demakes Nintendo’s famous action adventure series