Posts Tagged ‘tiles’
So i haven’t made an “I’m in” post yet, so yeah… I’M IN!
I have have now worked for a bit over 12 hours on my game. right now it’s just some kind of place blocks/destroy blocks game, but I’ll make it so that you can mine things, and add resources as well.
Tools I use:
– Main program: Game Maker: Studio
– Graphics: Photoshop
– Nice tile program: GoTile
and perhaps some other stuff too…
So here’s a few screenshots:
Have you seen AutoTileGen? It’s a useful-looking tool that will let its users generate tilesets from just a few images. It’s not coming out until April. Note that that is in time for LD29. It’s got an IndieGoGo campaign going, you can contribute to that here and, as perks, get a license when it comes out for $25-50 or early access for $120.
If you can’t wait or you can’t afford it for $25, though, I’ve written an alternative tool in Java, called GoTile. It’s free and it’s got a GPL version 3 license – its source code is here. I made the great majority of it in just 2 days. I think it works pretty well, but expect AutoTileGen to have less bugs, more features, and a better interface. You should be able to figure most of it out by messing with it, but custom levels should be CSVs and masks should be solid white in the shape of a tile. Here’s a screenshot, the GUI shows most of the features.
EDIT: There have been a few updates to the program since I made this post, so I updated the screenshot. Make sure to get the new version, too – I added some good stuff.
One of the things that took me a lot of time during LD23 was level design. This is partly because I didn’t have a tile map editor that I was familiar with and it seemed like working with the CSV data was good enough.
Please, give it a try and let me know what you think in the comments below. I’m currently hosting it via Dropbox, but I may provide a more permanent home if needed. Also, if there is interest, I’d be glad to put up a bitbucket repo with complete source.
It has been tested thoroughly in Chrome, and minimally in Firefox and IE9. I recommend using Chrome for now.
Here’s a simple screenshot to give you a feel for it:
Not sure where I’m going with this. Pretty much leaning on roguelike, but it may become something else?
I have almost finished my level editor. It currently saves the world data to the models folder using jME’s BinaryExporter (wow, that saves a hell of a lot of time), and you use the mouse to place tiles, and the scroll wheel to cycle between tiles and objects. Right clicking removes the top-most tile (basically, the first one the picking ray hits).
I’m going to try using the lighting system to add some moody effects next, after I create some more graphics. It turns out, making nice tile graphics really isn’t that hard after all.
There’s a controllable character, but it’s not shown here.
Since yesterday I couldn’t submit the pictures and the progress of my game, but meanwhile I did a lot of progress in my game and even drew a cool caption for ludum dare:
Meanwhile the game has temporary graphics and levels:
By now you can move and push stuff around, and now I’m starting to work on story and graphics maybe sound later.
p.s THE SITE IS SUPER SLOW!!!!!!
Implemented tiles. Okay, it’s still at the stage where everything is boring. I think after this one, I won’t post until I have something a little more visually stimulating.
So I’m back at it after a solid eight hours of sleep. A little under twelve hours left and I still can’t “Spawn” units. I can make them randomly appear, but somehow I think that won’t be enough.
On the other side of things, I am getting closer with the RTS game. You can select any number of units, and right click to have them move wherever you want. Once I can make units spawn I’ll release a beta. More to come!
I’ve been working like mad since my last post at trying to mock up some CoMuTor animation tiles to have something to work with the soon to be written game logic. I always forget how long animation takes and am hoping that these placeholders won’t become permanent as far the deadline goes…. we shall see!
Here is a detail of my Tile Studio CoMuTor project:
Here is the larger image of even more tiles:
I have to draw some final frames of a CoMuTor attack where you reach down and fling cars up into the air and/or a smash attack as well.
I’m finally finished with a version that both runs and could be classified as a game. So here it is. All important information is available in the game, really, if you just pay a bit of attention. I might include play information here later when I don’t need to sleep so much.
If you want another screenshot, here’s after having won.
Update after deadline: I’ve updated the above link to include zlib1.dll which was missing. The original package is still available.