Today was a somewhat frustrating day. Until just now, I didn’t feel like I had gotten very much accomplished for the time I spent – but comparing it to where I was last night, it’s some pretty significant progress.
- Added two new constructable items, walls and mortars.
- Made the UI actually do things, to support selection.
- Expanded path-finding to support walls and buildings being uncrossable.
- Added cycles of enemy fire – both gunfire and mortar fire cycle on and off.
Right now, things are looking a bit like this:
I spent way too much time on stupid hangups. Pathfinding gave me a lot of grief, and I spent way too long fighting with the regex search and replace in MonoDevelop for no good reason.
The number of things in between me and a finished game seem manageable now:
- Two more types of buildings: machine guns and medics. These should be quick with the framework I’ve put in with the mortars.
- Making the buildings do things. Again, most of the framework is there.
- The actual “over the top” action to assault the (unseen) enemy, possibly resulting in victory.
- A lose condition
- Sounds & music
- Animations & particle effects, if I get to it – doubtful at this point.
This is a much more ambitious project than I took on last Ludum Dare. Oops.