Hello, everyone. Iam ‘the’, and i made a game for this Ludum Dare, named ‘KOSMOVALSE‘. It is a game where you fly in open space around asteroids, kill monsters, collect armor and health bonuses and earn scores.
Of course, i planned to make something more, but it is a 48 hours competition, right?
So, let’s talk firstly about two big fails in my game:
- Theme. I wanted to do really small worlds in every asteroids with bosses and NPC. And enemies in space just must interfere to player to travel between them. Now it is sounds funny, but every time i planned to make a game, it is looks like Fallout, even not first. So, after a 24 hours when only mechanics was done, i decide to do something more then color changes only when i have enough time at the end of second day.
- PyOpenGL. It was first public game i made with PyOpenGL API instead of pure pygame and now i have a lot of comments like “crashed after button pressed”. That is means OpenGl shaders really do not work in many systems even between gamers from ludum dare community and i need to find a way to do something with that if i want to use them. Because of this I spend Monday morning to recompile sources with exceptions and also i very very sad now.
After this i want to say what in my opinion was a good in my game :
- Walking on asteroids. I do not know any other 2d games when you can walk on surfaces that placed at any angle (comment, if you know). Mostly people do platformers with simple gravitation scheme and sometimes with wall jumping, because of this it was pretty interesting for me to made a game where player can run on non-spherical asteroids.
- Black-white color scheme. I spend a lot of time in first day to understand how the game world will be looks like, especially asteroids (try to write shaders for them, use brown texture), and finally found this awesome simple scheme. I am not god at drawing (you can check my previous ludum dare game for example) and it was really great decision.
In addition this is a history of my ludum dare weekend:
- Day 1, progress 0% ) O no, they chose this theme =(
- Day 1, progress 2% ) This green rectangle is player and he is moving, not bad.
- Day 1, progress 5% ) This connected lines are asteroids, let’s make a collision system.
- Day 1, progress 15% ) Ok, i did it!
- Day 1, progress 10% ) No, i dont =( need to find a bag
- Day 1, progress 25% ) Now it is a lot of asteroids and i can walk on them and fly between them!
- Day 1, progress 35% ) Made shader for player rocket-pack trace, not bad.
- Day 1, progress 35% ) This shader for asteroids looks ugly.
- Day 1, progress 35% ) This shader for asteroids still looks ugly.
- Day 1, progress 35% ) x_X
- Day 1, progress 35% ) Why i even decide to take a part in this ludum dare when i can spend my weekends for something else, i will never add a second world and complete this game in time!(
- Day 1, progress 45% ) This black and white scheme looks cool, draw a player sprites in them.
- Day ?, progress 50% ) First enemy appeared, need to sleep
- Day 2, progress 60% ) Now player can shoot, also added new enemy.
- Day 2, progress 70% ) Now with three enemy classes and routine with they sprites load code looks terribly, no way to found something in.
- Day 2, progress 80% ) Finally I have a headache from all of this generated sounds.
- Day 2, progress 90% ) Hey, this menu appeared when i smashed my head on keyboard.
- Day 2, progress 95% ) Ok, compiled file do not work under Windows, need to load extra GLUT dlls.
- Day 2, progress 100% ) Uploa….. sleep.
PS. You can find my entry here, some of my previous games available here and here. If you know what is a problem with OpenGl shaders please post some information or link, i will be really happy. Sorry for bad English!.