If you want to play the game, you can play it HERE.
If you want me to play your game, leave me a comment with a link to it.
The Aliens Came — Postmortem
I had lots of fun this Ludum Dare! It was my second LD, my first in the compo, and I was quite happy with my results this time.
I wrote a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure game about a citizen in a city that’s been invaded by aliens, and having everything conspire to make you revolt.
What went wrong:
- The timer for choices was the source of my original idea, but didn’t fit in the final product as well as I’d like.
- The timer shouldn’t have been on all of the choices, but I didn’t have time to make a system to disable it for some multiple-choice scenes.
- I created too large of a story to make art for in the time limit. With drawing as fast as I could for almost the entire second day, I still had to reuse art for about 1/3 of the game.
- The default font was broken on one of my test computers, so I made my own. I’m not really qualified to design fonts however, so it’s a bit harder to read than it should be for large blocks of text.
- I didn’t automate the resource handling quite well enough, so that slowed down some of my work.
What went right:
- I came up with a very achievable idea that was still interesting.
- I built an extensible system straight off, so making the content for the game was easy.
- I wasn’t overconfident, and used Unity again. I got all my cross platform compatibility for free, even though I didn’t make much use of the Unity editor and only used one GameObject for my game.
- I built a flexible level format, and was smart enough to leave the linking to the user, instead of trying to make a really complex automatic link maker.
- I came up with an art style that I could successfully produce 80-something pictures in in only 16 hours, and it looks quite nice too.
I had a great time this Ludum Dare, and I’ve played lots of fun games. I’m excited to see the results, and eagerly awaiting next time. I’ll be ready.