So this was my third Ludum Dare, and I have to say I had a blast. Making Existential has been a load of fun. I learned a bunch and ate a lot of pizza in the process.
I’m happy with this overall. Originally I expected higher ratings, but in hindsight I understand why I got what I did (except for Audio – I’m getting way too high a score for that) – I had taken a project that was a little bit big for Ludum Dare and this resulted in me having to focus almost entirely on gameplay only. Almost no polish was able to be done, and as a result my ratings suffer. Besides that, I wasn’t able to make the theme have that large of an effect on the player, and so it was difficult to notice.
What went good
- Unity 4.6 UI system. I love it so much.
- Eating, getting sleep, etc
- Gameplay. Seeing as I focused mostly on this, I think I actually did it pretty decently.
- SharpDevelop. Magicolo suggested it as an alternative to MonoDevelop and it’s a huuuge improvement.
What went bad
- Graphics. Since I focused on gameplay so much, I didn’t have much time to improve them.
- Audio. Same reason as above – no time.
- Project Scope. It wasn’t terrible, and I was able to do it, but as I’ve said it’s because of this I wasn’t able to polish the game.
So what now?
I’m planning on finishing up the game, hopefully by the end of the week. I plan for it to be my first ‘real’ project as a game developer, and am planning to release it for free on itch.io, GameJolt and Kongregate. I also plan to in the process improve the scripts I’ve made for making platformers.
Anyways, that’s all. Have a good day, and see you next Ludum Dare (oh hey that rhymed).