Posts Tagged ‘Patient 0 A.D.’

I finished my first Ludum Dare

Posted by (twitter: @Prelucid)
Sunday, December 16th, 2012 6:04 pm

So I was ready to just leave what I had in posts and say I couldn’t finish, but my fellow AGDG’rs kicked my butt and said I was crazy because I still had 12 hours left. I decided to not sleep that night and just make the game presentable. Cutting the features I wanted to put in and making the game winnable/losable. The result is this:

The Fall and Rise of Rome: Patient 0 A.D.


You are the first zombie. JESUS CHRIST. That’s not an exclamation of surprise, I mean Jesus Christ was the first man to rise from the dead. This is the origin of his rampage that led to The Fall (and eventual rise, like from the dead) of Rome.

What I learned: I was more prepared than I would have been if I didn’t sit down and work on my framework. I was less prepared than I needed to be in terms of looking to implement simple things that should have worked off the bat. The timing in my engine was flawed and it affected everything. The game doesn’t run at consistent speeds and one bug in particular cost me 5-7 hours just trying to fix, breaking my engine to a point where I was worse off, spent more time on 2 attempts just trying to get back to having One bug, and then just decided to cut the amount of times the bug occurs in half by making there only one way to kill a bad guy.

Cutting features was the compromise and saving grace of meeting the deadline. While I fully appreciate GLBasic, I didn’t know it well enough and it cost me. I will have to get some more experience with it. I literally used it for a short time back in 2011, bought a license, spent a week on this framework and then stopped for some unknown reason. I picked it up again 2 weeks ago, patching in physics, listeners, etc… I think next time I have time to do this… until I’m more experienced with coding, I may relax and Jam, providing my art skills to an online team or something. I know for sure, my lack of experience in cost me dev time as well as art asset time. I could’ve at the very least made this one-level intro more beautiful. Maybe I’ll go for Unity next time as that’s what I’ve been using a lot of lately.

As usual I uploaded random check ins to my Youtube playlist. Also planning on putting up a timelapse of every waking moment after I get it together into a video.

That one bug!

Posted by (twitter: @Prelucid)
Sunday, December 16th, 2012 7:13 am


So I spent about 5-7 hours on one animation bug, which I still haven’t fixed. :O At one point during those hours I actually almost rendered the engine unfix-able and surprisingly worse off than it was before, haha. Those hours could’ve been spent working on the other mandatory necromancy mechanic, and actually creating the level, but now it looks like it’s not going to happen. The framework is fundamentally flawed for this type of game (and well for pretty much any type of game I suppose hahaha) and I’m starting to remember why I only spent a week on it 4 seasons ago.

So this is what I’m presenting for now.

Alpha versions of an unfinished product: Windows | Mac
The game runs too slow on Mac to be really playable. No idea why.

I’m going to get some sleep. When I awake, I will have about 5 hours to tweak around, but something tells me since I’m back to square 1 after the previous 5 hours, hahaha, so there won’t be much progress anyways. 😛 I’ve learned a lot in my first run with Ludum Dare!

Crucify THIS!

Posted by (twitter: @Prelucid)
Saturday, December 15th, 2012 4:03 am


Having a problem with oversized textures. Seems redundant considering the pixelation of my characters. I may have to rework the engine so far to upscale instead of using multiple sizes.

Getting late. I’m no good at sleeping at the light switch, so contemplating how I’ll save time while getting to sleep tonight.

This is happening

Posted by (twitter: @Prelucid)
Saturday, December 15th, 2012 12:48 am


Okay, after I finish with this break, the saga continues…

[cache: storing page]