I’ve played various Ludum Dare games in the past. So felt it was about time I put something back into the community; and a mini LD seemed like a great entry point.
Oh, and here’s a link to the submission.
The core concept was literally born in my head within a few minutes of reading the Mini LD announcement post; and thanks to Unity, I had a working prototype up very quickly.
Fun Fact: The first level in the game now is actually exactly as it was in that first prototype.
As levels started to get more complex, I added turning the player around when they hit a vertical wall; as the fact the player could only move right left alot of wasted level space.
Cutting the ‘It get’s harder mechanic':
For a time there was a system where death caused the current level to morph and become harder. This was to apply to the ‘Rage quit’ Goal, but this ended up feeling really out of place.
I think probably because the game relies heavily on player trial and error to solve the puzzle elements; and its difficult to learn when the level keeps changing.
So I figured it wasn’t worth including simply to hit that goal.
I started by designing and implementing various self-contained objects that could be placed in various levels, each doing different things (such as the: ‘Spring’).
Then combining these in various interesting ways inside the Unity editor I could throw together levels quickly, and experiment to find the most fun combinations of the mechanics.
Unity is great for rapid prototyping; so I guess it shouldn’t be a surprise that I fell into it.
It just felt natural to add tutorialisation levels for each of these mechanics afterwards.
My level design skills are hardly great; so to save any aggro I added the skip level button to the pause menu. Although looking back now, I think it would have made more sense to have this option appear upon death to ensure nobody missed it.
I went for the minimalist art really as a place-holder at first; but I’m also terrible at drawing so I ended up leaving it as is.
I actually spent quite a bit of time trying to make music using MilkyTracker; sadly I didn’t end up with anything in that regard. Which is a shame as even a simple track can add alot to a game.
Sfx were made in BFXR and MilkyTracker; and I did learn how to remove noise and crackle that can come out of BFXR (Low/High pass filters are awesome).
All in all. I’m quite happy with the result.
Being the first game I’ve ever released publicly, it feels great simply to know people have played it; hoping to release more free games in the future, be it for LD or something else :D.
Thanks for reading.