So this is it. This was my first time participating in Ludum Dare, and it is definitely not going to be the last time! It was incredibly stressful, but I enjoyed every minute of it. Wow. Thanks for the great experience everybody!
I am very proud of the result.
We are talking about this.
- The idea — I had a pretty strong image of what I wanted to do in my head. It wasn’t very innovative, but I was sure not to stumble into a situation that I did not know how to get out of.
- The tools — I used Photoshop for graphics, SFXR for sound effects and the NetBeans IDE. I did not have trouble with any of them. Everything worked like a charm.
- The time management (who would have expected that?) — Everything went nice until I hit a very ugly bug in my collision/line-of-sight-detection system and got stuck. That caused me to loose many hours, resulting in limited content. I should have skipped it to deal with it at a later moment in time.
- The planning — I should have laid out more of the game before starting. I had to re-do my map system after discovering that it simply would not be fast enough to edit the map in Photoshop. I could have avoided that by realizing that a tile-engine would fit my needs best at the very beginning.
- The communication — Even though the IRC was permanently running on my second screen, I totally missed to socialize with other participants. I also planned to post status updates with screenshots on the blog, but that did not happen either. This will change next time!
Nonetheless, I am really happy with how everything turned out. I could adjust my path in time, so that the game ended up being fully playable, even though some planned content was missing.
Please feel free to play and rate my entry here!
Finally, here is my timelapse for this LD:
Also, NO DAMN KITTY IN MY GAME!