I’m Adam Thompson AKA @EmotionTheory and I’m in!
I’ll be participating in the Jam since I’ve lost a bit of time, and since I appreciate the more lax approach it takes.
I love Metroidvania games – who doesn’t? – and have been wanting to make one for some time now, so I’m taking this chance to do just that!
I’ll be using Unity 5.0 & ProBuilder (I’m putting off learning some Blender yet again), and Photoshop for 2D stuff.
- An underwater metroidvania with free 2D movement ala Aquaria
- Basic controls of moving & dashing
- Abstract character art as seen in @thatgamecompany‘s Flow
- Silhouette / flat shaded environment elements
- Bloodborne inspired map layout! Checkpoints (anemonies, you can fast travel between each), unlocking shortcuts, non-linear design (I’ve got a map drafted)
- A handful of interactive elements; mines, blowfish, currents, etc
- A handful of collectibles; starfish? Heh.
This might sound like a lot is going on, but I absolutely want to simplify *everything*. I’d like to prototype the absolute core elements of a metroidvania game and truly explore what I find magical about the metroidvania structure.
As such, there is no real *combat*. There will be dangers you must avoid like in VVVVVV, and the challenging Bloodborne inspired checkpoint and map system will encourage players to explore and locate shortcuts.
Here’s my todo list, ordered by priority
- Get player controls (arrows, analog, mouse) + camera follow working – Left click to move + right click to dash (also keyboard + gamepad controls)
- Create sandbox environment – greybox playground
- Create checkpoint (anemones) + fast travel system
- Construct map layout (very very basic – entirely seamless)
- Create + add in walls (shortcuts) that can be opened up
- Create + add in collectible starfish prefab
- Create + add in challenge elements
- explosive mine prefab – static + moving variant
- Create “underwater feel”
- background colour gradient
- particle effects – bubbles, light rays
- color tint effect
- wave effect
- Make some additional art
- generic background rocks
- some plants + stickers
- ambient fish
I’ll admit this sounds like a heck of a lot to do – but for a prototype I’d be happy if I simply get a character moving in a non-linear world with checkpoints and fast travel.
That’s my goal!
^ Follow me here ^