Posts Tagged ‘jmonkeyengine’

Total burnout, game submitted

Posted by
Sunday, December 18th, 2011 2:32 pm

Ugh. I reached a total brick wall (hehe) and couldn’t think of anything to do with the game. I realized that I would have to make a lot more gimmicks in order to keep the dungeon interesting, and I simply don’t have the time to implement all of that. So, I’m releasing it as-is.

I did, however, learn a lot from the competition this time around. jMonkeyEngine is a bit impractical for 2D games with very basic entity behavior, but it can be done, and it is otherwise fairly robust. I feel as though if I had the time, I could very easily create a full, 3D game on the engine. I also learned how to do physical collision using ray-casting, and for the most part, the implementation in the game works perfectly (except for a little exploit that I wonder if many people will find… it was very fun to play with in testing).

If I hadn’t decided to build the game for the purpose of learning jME as opposed to taking an easy route and using Swing or Slick (like Notch is doing), I probably would have made it far more complex and long.

Oh well. It was fun, and I’ll try to compete in the April competition if AP studies don’t get in the way.

 

Gimmicks and Music complete, on to level design

Posted by
Sunday, December 18th, 2011 2:18 am

Stepping into the final phase of the game’s development! Mechanically, the game is complete, but now the entire dungeon needs to be built using the built-in level editor. I could have the game finished hours before the deadline!

However, it is sleep time now. I’ve been working on the game for 16 consecutive hours, with some pauses here and there. I’d say things are going a lot more smoothly than last time.

 

Adding features, building the castle

Posted by
Saturday, December 17th, 2011 10:00 pm

So far so good. I’m coding in new types of tiles and I’ve finally managed to get the light code working perfectly in all conditions. After I’m done implementing the various gimmicks, it’s time to start filling out the castle (and probably redo that character sprite, too cute lol).

Maybe I can program a cool distortion shader for the character sprite. Or use fog particles to indicate that he/she is ephemeral, like a ghost. And I’ve got plenty of time to make it all, after downing this Monster!

 

Holy crap, REAL LIGHTING!

Posted by
Saturday, December 17th, 2011 3:38 pm

I’m so proud of myself.

 

(Mostly) Complete Level Editor

Posted by
Saturday, December 17th, 2011 3:03 pm

Well hello there!

I have almost finished my level editor. It currently saves the world data to the models folder using jME’s BinaryExporter (wow, that saves a hell of a lot of time), and you use the mouse to place tiles, and the scroll wheel to cycle between tiles and objects. Right clicking removes the top-most tile (basically, the first one the picking ray hits).

I’m going to try using the lighting system to add some moody effects next, after I create some more graphics. It turns out, making nice tile graphics really isn’t that hard after all.

Now I actually have something to show for all of this

Posted by
Saturday, December 17th, 2011 11:46 am

Well would you look at that. There’s a built-in level editor in the game, special thanks to jME’s rather robust AppStates system and input manager… Now I have to tweak it.

 

 

I was so very close to giving up

Posted by
Saturday, December 17th, 2011 10:31 am

but I have not! I have learned how to use ray casting to calculate the amount to “push” back on an object to ensure they don’t slide straight through it!

Unfortunately, my implementation doesn’t work at very low frame rates. Moving right along.

My plan right now is to use jME’s lighting system to add atmosphere to the game levels. The level will have a very dark ambient light added over the whole scene, and then stuff like torches will cast point lights.

Day 1 Conclusion

Posted by
Saturday, December 17th, 2011 12:20 am

No screenshots to share at this time; unfortunately, I spend the better half of this evening working out the collisions for player movement before doing anything else.

I have to use ray-tracing to physically simulate the collision, but there is some mathematical error in the way jMonkeyEngine calculates distance from the ray shot, which prevents certain directions from preventing motion correctly… you just get stuck to the wall. I’m not convinced this is a jME problem though. I think I have an idea of how to fix it, but I’m going to bed before I lose my sanity any more.

[cache: storing page]