Ludum Dare 31
December 5th-8th, 2014

Posts Tagged ‘intellij’

Meowfinity and Beyond – Game and post-mortem

Posted by (twitter: @Cryovat)
Monday, August 26th, 2013 2:13 pm
Meowfinity and Beyond - Title

Click for entry page

Hi darers and jammites!

LD27 was my third time to enter Ludum Dare, and my first time to enter the compo. In my insanity, I decided to make a platformer, and by some crazy streak of cosmic luck (and hard prioritization), I was able to finish it on time.

Please give it a go, rate and let me know what you think. I hope you will enjoy it. :-)

Ingame screenshot

The introduction cut-scene of the game

What went well

  • The theme: I originally hated it, but in the end, I think it worked out pretty well.
  • The tools: I’ve used IntelliJ quite extensively for Javascript development before, and used ImpactJS in LD26. The familiarity saved me a lot of time and let me spend most of the compo time in “the zone”.
  • Git: It’s a lifesaver. Don’t do any kind of development without source control!
  • Preparation: I set up a Github repo during friday evening with a pre-configured IntelliJ project, empty game template and “branded” HTML page. This allowed me to dive straight into the project. Compare to LD26 where I spent an hour configuring IntelliJ to run a debug web server with PHP support and getting the level editor working.
  • Pro Motion: Pro Motion is an amazing tool for creating pixel art and tile maps. I couldn’t have pulled off the graphics without it.
  • Impact:  ImpactJS just feels right to me as a game engine, and the bundled level editor and deployment tool is great.
  • Feedback: My friend Irubataru and wonderful people on IRC gave me feedback and motivation to keep going. I couldn’t have done it without you. <3
  • Sleep: I got my full eight hours between Saturday and Sunday.
  • Water: I had one Starbucks coffee. Apart from that, I just drank water.
  • Art: I had a crazy art sprint during the Sunday evening. I can’t believe how much the feel of the game changed. At some point, the characters also became cats.
The game with place-holder art

The game with place-holder art

What didn’t go well

  • The theme: While I ultimately think it benefited the game, I spent a long time agonizing over what to do before getting started. I need to do some off-line work on brainstorming techniques.
  • The controls: Ultimately, the jumping turned out a bit floaty, but I had already come too far with the level work to do anything about it. :-(
  • Timekeeping: All of my self-imposed deadlines slipped. I intended to finish levels by noon on Sunday; finished at six. Intended to have art done by six, finished art at midnight (CET), etc.
  • Music and sound: I just didn’t have time. They had to go.
  • The purrtraits: They don’t mesh too well with the rest of the art style, but I still think they make the game more lively.
  • Community involvement: I was active on IRC throughout the event, but failed to do blog posts, live stream and post real-life pictures. Hopefully next time.
  • OS juggling: I did my primary development on Ubuntu, but had to reboot to Windows for the art parts. The push-reboot-pull routine was cumbersome and highly unnecessary.
  • My mouse: At the day of Ludum Dare, my mouse suddenly picked up a bad habit of registering two clicks unless I held the mouse button down. This was highly annoying.
  • Food: I didn’t eat regularly. Next time I will be setting fixed eating times.
  • Getting up: I got up pretty late (past noon) on both days. I could probably have done more if I’d gotten up when intended.

After spending the evening sleeping, it’s time to check out some of your work. Congratulations to everyone who finished. I’m looking forward to seeing how you tackled the theme. :-)

Go on, click him. You know you want to:

Click to play the game.

 

I’m In!

Posted by (twitter: @Cirrial)
Thursday, April 25th, 2013 8:45 am

When I first entered Ludum Dare, it was April of 2011. 2011 was a good year for making games for me. Throwbots, Aphelion Incident and Blue Moon were my creations for 2011, and I still feel that for all their flaws they are still reasonably solid entries.

2012 was not so good. This time last year I came down ill. In August I was busy with preparations for an academic conference. In December? In December, my only excuse was absolutely hating the theme. (If “You Are Your Enemy” wins I will go mad. MAD)

Let’s hope things go better this time around!

potato

IDE: IntelliJ

Library: Flixel

Map/Level Editor: DAME

Image Editor: Photoshop/GraphicsGale/Paint Tool SAI

Sound Generator: BFXR

Music Editor: SunVox

Timelapse: Chronolapse

Streaming: Open Broadcaster Software

(disclaimer: some of these tools might not end up being used at all)

 

 

I’m in!

Posted by (twitter: @Cirrial)
Tuesday, December 11th, 2012 9:24 pm

Hi! I’ve entered a few Ludum Dares before (none this year due to illness and deadlines, ugh) and this time last year I made Blue Moon, one of my most well received games in general.

I’m going to use the following tools, and aiming for the compo. But it is the end of the year, when burnout is high and holidays creep ever closer, so perhaps I might go for the jam this time.

  • Flixel
  • IntelliJ IDE
  • DAME for level editing if I really, really have to
  • SAI for illustrations
  • PyxelEdit/Photoshop, the former I don’t know as well and the latter I do
  • Sunvox for music
  • BFXR for sound

That covers everything, I think! See you then!

Slow Progress

Posted by (twitter: @Cirrial)
Saturday, August 20th, 2011 4:04 am

Aaagh! After spending two hours figuring out that the IDE was loading in an older form of the SWF than the current one, this is all I have after 6 conscious hours of work! D:

At least I do have a solid plan of action for the rest of the hours, though.

There's a ways to go yet.

[cache: storing page]