Posts Tagged ‘infection’
I’m fairly sure this is going to be the final version of my game “Infection Fighter” – I could carry on tweaking the gameplay forever – it’s too easy to win right now, but I think I’m more likely to decide on the best way of fixing that after the competition.
I haven’t finished packaging the windows version into an exe (and I probably won’t be able to find enough time as I’ve got to make up for spending most of my weekend coding), so windows users will need to have python and Pygame to run it – like the rest of us
You can get it here. (69Kb)
I thought I’d post the game in it’s current state as I’m heading for more sleep – I’ve updated the physics a bit and tweaked the game logic, but I have to make it tougher, save the scores to a file, add some kind of game-over screen, and dig out an old windows box to see if I can remember how to make an exe from python (py2exe?).
[same screenshot as before – except with lives]
Feel free to have a play and comment – You’ll need python and PyGame – then just run main.py
You can download it here…
It’s a simple idea, but I hope it’s fun (I’ll make it tougher to play by the end).
I got back to work about two hours ago (although I did stay up for an extra hour or two last night after saying I would sleep), and the game is coming along quite well.
Most importantly, I have managed to add some of the extra gameplay ideas I had yesterday. The gameplay is now some kind of mix of asteroids and puzzle bobble – with an infection theme, and in glorious monochrome…
I’ve also added a score (as you can see in the screenshot), and some basic sound effects – my musical skills are best described as NULL, so I’m not sure I’m going to add much more, but perhaps I’ll generate something with DrPetter’s sfxr if I think it’ll fit in (I found the debian/ubuntu binary package here if anyone’s looking for one as I’m getting unmet dependency problems installing libgtk to compile from source at the mo.)
Still to do – lives, deaths, writing the score to the file, and some better physics – but it’s come along.
Infection Wars is a multiplayer game where you use an “infectatron” vehicle to bring a population of “protoplasmoid” objects over to your color. There is a (fairly dim) AI to play against, but it’s best if you’re playing splitscreen head-to-head with one or more humans. It supports up to 4 players (with multiple joysticks/gamepads, preferably, or keyboard, or mouse).
It was written using PyGame (no OpenGL), and was my first game development contest entry. For a while, I had been driving around with a license plate holder based on the game.
This came in 9th in both innovation and completeness. I’m still rather pleased at how this game turned out – it’s a pretty simple game with some easy-to-understand but unusual mechanics. A few more hours could be spent on the game to fix a few shortcomings, including the fact that sometimes the protoplasmoids get hung up on walls, and that the AI is regrettably (and nigh-unplayably) dim.
The Destruction of the Viruses was a fairly ambitious (but not very innovative) game written for the Infection theme. The player had to clean out the insides of a computer by killing all the viruses that resided there. The viruses could clone themselves, so it wasn’t always that easy.
It played like a top-down shooter, with FPS controls, and used OpenGL to draw a level that could be rotated around the player.
There were many good intentions, and much love for the number 5 (there being 5 levels, 5 enemy types, and 5 weapon types), yet the game failed badly. The biggest mistake was a bug which made some parts of the game framerate dependent, leaving it extremely hard if you had a low framerate (it played as intended at about 180 FPS). It’s hard to say how it would have fared without the bug, but as it were, it placed about 23th.
You can get the compo version, or its source, if you want to, but I really must urge you not to! Better to get the ‘made working dist’ released a few days after the deadline. Both of them are for Windows and OpenGL.
I have an even better version around somewhere, that I haven’t packaged and released yet. I’ll do that soon, and then I’ll include it here.
A infected game. It didn’t get done but there is some odd graphics and strange swedish doctor sounds. Play the “game” online.
The player, shoot with a digicam on timer, yes, that is a floorball club I’m holding in my hand.
Insanity was my entry to LD4. The topic was “infection”. My idea was somewhat far-fetched and only in the story – the home town of Ian the janitor is befallen by an infection of insanity – so he has to beat up all the scientists at his workplace to find the cause of the infection and a cure.
Since I messed up the base engine (tried to somehow stuff the 3D into 2D), I wasn’t able to finish. There’s just one level with place holder graphics, but the level can’t be won and so the story never reaches its conclusion.
Cuzco’s Goat Bloat Game was my first LD entry. I was pretty amazed that I was able to make a whole game in 48 hours. This game got me hooked on game compos for life My fiddling skills were pretty weak at the time, so I had to speed up the music in Audacity so it wouldn’t sound like a dirge. I had fun with the goat AI – it’s pretty realistic. (Goats don’t like water, they climb on rocks, and when you chase them they run everywhere!) Since it was my first compo entry, my “fun” rating was rather low – I didn’t take enough time to balance the levels. Also, the coloring of the goats makes them look like bees, oops!