Posts Tagged ‘homebrew’

Done! Well, mostly..

Sunday, December 13th, 2015 12:49 pm

I’ve got all of the base game mechanics done, the goal of the game is to grow your crops, but to do this you need water!  And there is none, so you kill rabbits, and use their blood to water your crops.

I’ll get some final touches done if I can, but I’m pretty drained after all of that assembly..

2015-12-13-174717_1400x866_scrot

Emulator troubles.

Sunday, December 13th, 2015 10:21 am

Time is closing in and things aren’t going the way I’d like, having a lot of trouble with emulators as each one gives slightly different results with the game.  Though, I did manage to implement some basic collision, so you can kill the rabbits now.  They also come from both sides of the screen.  Writing a game in z80 assembly has definitely been..interesting, I might do something like this again next LD, it has been fun.

Hopefully only a few things left to implement before I can consider my game mechanics done, after that it’s just any finishing touches if I get time.

2015-12-13-151636_1315x875_scrot

Banana Nana (NES game): postmortem

Posted by (twitter: @morphcat)
Sunday, May 3rd, 2015 11:34 am

nanatitlegp

LD32 has been an amazing experience, we set high goals for ourselves and managed to make something decently playable.

Yes, you read correctly. Banana Nana is an actual NES game. We tested it on the real console and it works perfectly. I had plenty of experience coding basic top-down adventure/RPG engines from scratch in 6502 assembly due to some experimenting last year, so I was confident I could do it. My friend Nicolas exceeded all expectations with the awesome graphics he made, though!

Nana200

Our game’s hero Nana

What went right

Preparation
The weekend before, we met to brush up our skills. Without this, we couldn’t have pulled off a game of this scope.

Twitch.tv dev stream
We were on the Ludum Dare front page for most of the time and got a substantial amount of interested people watching. That sure kept us motivated to make something great. Thank you so much, everyone!

What went wrong

Missing features
The game might be playable, but we didn’t manage to add some of the things we had in mind.
There were supposed to be three gorilla boss fights and more extensive dungeons, but all of this simply wasn’t possible within 72 hours. So we decided to keep the gorilla sprite and reduced the dungeon size to one room each where you just collect a powerup for your weapon, the Bananarang, which allows you to access new areas and advance. We also had to give up the idea of implementing a player status bar.

Gorilla Boss

Gorilla Boss

Bugs
There were also some bugs, most noticably the Bananarang wrapping around screen edges, allowing speedrunners to reach places that should not be accessible early and finishing the game in less than a minute.

Speedruns (thanks, Magmfur!):
100%
Any% (glitch abuse)

golden-banana

Bananarang Upgrade

Conclusion

Even if it was hard, it’s certainly possible to make an NES Game in 72 hours.
You can watch the development in this time lapse video.

If you like what you’re seeing, why not…

Play and rate our game Banana Nana

Hope you’ll enjoy. :)

We decided to continue working on this game after LD. I might stream future development at http://twitch.tv/morphcat
Thanks for reading

NES game for LD32

Posted by (twitter: @morphcat)
Wednesday, April 15th, 2015 10:18 am

Me and my friend are in!

We will create an NES game from scratch. I’ll be writing pure assembly code for the 8-bit 6502 processor, he will provide gorgeous pixel art.

Stream:
twitch.tv/morphcat (starts at 9 am CEST on April 18th)

Twitter:
@morphcat
@Atelier_Betoux

 

Let’s get dangerous!

Posted by (twitter: @morphcat)
Thursday, August 22nd, 2013 1:20 am

Hey there, first Ludum Dare for me.

I’ve been into 8-bit console development for a while. While making an actual game on such a console is a time-consuming task, it is tremendously fun and rewarding.

Can a decent NES game be made within 48 hours? I’d like to find out.

Here is what I will be using:

  • Languages: C, Assembly for timing-critical bits
  • Library: Shiru’s NES library
  • Text Editor: Notepad++
  • Art: GraphicsGale, YY-CHR
  • Sound and Music: FamiTracker

While using C instead of pure Assembly makes coding quick, it has two huge drawbacks: slow speed and bulky code. C compilers, at this time, are not able to emit fast and well-optimized code for the NES’s processor (and may never be).

I will try to restrict myself to the NROM cartridge board that most of the earliest NES games used. So, for all you technical buffs out there or anyone coming from modern HLL-coding looking to get their minds blown, these will be the specs the game has to deal with:

  • Processor: 6502 (with no decimal mode), clocked at 1.79 MHz
  • RAM: 2KB
  • 32KB ROM for code and data
  • 8KB ROM for graphics

I might stream development and respond to questions at http://www.twitch.tv/morphcat

EDIT: I should also mention that I am going to use this Makefile which I adapted a bit. It calls some command-line tools I’ve written, mainly for converting VICE label files to the format used by the emulator FCEUX, making debugging easier.

[cache: storing page]