Egypt Wizard is now available in the following apps markets:
here you can find a resume of the development process.
New monster and zone almost done!
Check out the video:
I’ve been working with physics and lighting.
I had some problems to optimize the entire theme of light and shadow with the mobile hardware, because some older devices do not support anything but OpenGL1.1 and the ones supporting OpenGL2 only have two lights (hardware acceleration) dynamics, and are directional.
I also had a hard time trying to coordinate all the events of the generation systems and balance enemy load, these are synchronized via environment variables with the AI, once you load the level you meet certain standards for each part phase, it run macros that direct action through the gaming experience.
I made several models in 3DStudio and Maya, textures with Photoshop and it has been more difficult than I thought, but also a lot of fun
I’m making a summary of what I’ve done since the last update:
– Added a compass (triangle in front of the avatar) to know where to go next
– Creation of optimized materials compatible with light and shadow
– Creating a new enemy: mini skeleton, with its animations, etc..
– Creation of a series of doors with different animations, particle systems and so on, that are synchronized to provide a consistent flow to the game
– Including transients and environmental sound effects are played according to a given priority
– resource optimization: its a need to use the least number of objects in memory and AI’s possible, it’s an art to know how to do this and mantain the FPS high, almost between 40-60+
In six days I have to submit the game to the markets.
And it is working in Blackberry PlayBook, iPhone4+, iPad (1,2,3), Pc (win,linux,mac), etc
Let’s see, there is complex logic now, enemies generarion with ai states, spells, attacks, optimizations, etc
It is working fine in iPad 1.
I need to improve timing for attack and casting, maybe add a spell cast progress bar?, right now I am focusing in the particular cases of spells and attack phases, each model has attached an AI encapsulating the dynamics, sensors and the back of the behaviour of each actor, movements, classes issues and so on.
I’m reading a book to know more about RPG classes, the name is “Programming Role playing Games With DirectX” from André LaMothe – CEO Xtreme Games. Although I’m writing the game in Shiva with Lua and exporting with C,C++,OBJC,and so on, I love the way it handles the kernel of a RPG game, my game is special kind of hack & slash, with magic spells, mages, etc. so this book is helping me to focus on the balance and the classes definitions, AI and so on.
I’m learning a lot of 3D and positioning, timing, frame syncing, fx creation, 3d art, …still a newbie crazy and hunger for more!
Here is the video from these days progress:
Now I could export the game to iOS 6.0. It works with iPad3 and iPhone5!
Bad news are that the game in iPod/iPhone 3G will not be available and in iPhone 3GS too slow…
I’m trying to make this better. Here is the discussion in our engine forum:
I have made this video:
to show the current progress of the game in about 2 weeks.
Player has animations, touch control pad,physics,low poly geometry, etc
The first level consists in 2 rooms and a mage tower, all the game is related to magic and mages!, i am a bit worried about fps, with 5-7k polys for each part of the full scene (rooms and tower), 4 particle systems of 16 elements each one, collisions, object occlussion, physics, AI, animations (no lights , no shadows), the game is running at 40-50fps…
I am wondering if I would need to reduce the meshes again! Or remove particles, occlussion ,etc, so I can add bloom fx, lights and more action to improve gameplay and game itself: graphics, sounds, music, attack,fx,etc
Hey guys, here is the logo
and a screenshot from the game
This is the wizard character.
Running in an iPhone 4S with iOS5.1.1 at 60FPS, less than 10k polys for each part of the whole scene, it also contains 4 particle systems for the torchs, a HUD control to move the char and 2700 frames of animations for the model.
The initial scene has a camera trajectory that follows a helper like a trail and end up then with the logo and menu buttons to start the game.
All I can say is that I’m working too hard to make this game really good.
Hey, I made other games later and published to the markets, now I will expand the business lines and use more markets.
The game is called Egypt: Hack & Slash, it’s in dungeons and crypts inside Egpyt, mummies, demons, orcs, skeletons,…slay them all!