Good job on the game jam everyone!
My game was Pyromaniac 3 — 2. Please check it out and leave me some feedback here.
This was my first Ludum Dare competition aside from the most recent Mini LD, but for me the Mini LD was more of a trial.
I started off on Friday night brainstorming and eventually, with the help of my friend Paul, came up with the idea of a growing fire. From there I kind of just went with the idea and programmed in whatever I thought of.
- Set up basic side scrolling player controller and camera that followed the player.
- Made a particle effect for fire.
- Made a particle effect for the player.
- Made a test level that consisted of a ground, a player, and nothing else.
- Drew placeholder art for trees and the ground.
- Created a skybox that looks like the night sky (the fire looks cooler against a dark backdrop).
- Gave the trees the ability to be flammable.
- Ironed out bugs regarding the distance from which things are set on fire.
- Drew placeholder firefighter art.
- Implemented firefighters with very basic AI (run towards the player).
- Made a particle effect for the water stream of the firefighter and the water stream of the firetruck.
- Implemented the water stream for the firefighter and gave both the player and firefighter health variables.
- Made and implemented a fireball particle effect for the player to shoot.
- Implemented the taking of damage when hit with water.
- Implemented the firefighters’ taking of damage when in contact with fire or fireballs.
- Drew placeholder art for the firetrucks, houses, and bushes.
- Implemented firetrucks (but not the firetruck water particle system).
- Implemented a win condition and death condition.
- Implemented UIs for those conditions.
- Made a main menu, about screen, and level select.
- Realized I didn’t have any levels for the level select, so I made 4 basic levels.
- Set up a system for unlocking levels based on game completion.
- Decided not to replace the placeholder art because it was like 5:00 o’clock.
- Fixed a bug where the UIs weren’t responding to clicks.
- Added an Easter egg where there is a 1/100 chance that when a firefighter spawns it spawns as Bono and has as much health as a firetruck.
- Play-tested for about 30 minutes and discovered a game-breaking jumping bug.
- Attempted three different solutions to the bug before fixing it 30 minutes before submitting.
- Set up an itch.io account and uploaded a web version and download version of my game.
- My friend came up with the slogan “15 years after the critically acclaimed fire-fighter fighting simulator, Pyromaniac 3, there is finally a sequel: Pyromaniac 3 — 2.”
- Uploaded the links to the game on the Ludum Dare website (at 8:30 because I didn’t realize there was a submission hour).
- Figured out how to upload the Unity project and uploaded that as my source.
- Polished the game page.
- Did my homework (cause that wasn’t my priority, obviously).
Thanks to everyone who has played and given me feedback on my game, I appreciate it greatly!