Posts Tagged ‘day 3’

End of hour 54 – Getting fun now

Posted by (twitter: @Zazanxors)
Monday, December 8th, 2014 1:54 am

So, I switched to the Jam. Didn’t feel the game was good enough with what it had, and I hadn’t finished animating in time for the Compo deadline. Now the end result will be way better, way more polished and just generally better.

LD31_preview-2

Got a ton done today – everything I told myself I would and more:

  1. Entirety of UI is now completed (Unity 4.6 UI system is the best thing ever)
  2. Player redrawn and animated completely
  3. Player now has four stats
  4. Chests now provide permanent stat bonuses upon being opened
  5. Overhauled player & enemy movement – way less buggy
  6. Map now has a slight elevation modifier to each line, so it’s less boring
  7. Sounds added! Music and more from BeepBox and BFXR.

Also, the Unity 4.6 UI system is freaking amazing. No, I don’t care that I already said that.

I originally wanted the map to have better random generation and wanted to instead add Perlin Noise to it, but that caused weird problems if you turned around, so I had to downgrade it to simply having it being randomized within a specific range. Still less boring, so it’s good enough.

As for the player movement, I finally fixed a jumping bug that had been plaguing me since I added player movement. Occasionally, the game would never realize the player left the ground, and he’d be able to jump infinitely. Adding one variable change upon jumping fixed that, and I also ended up actually using Unity’s ForceMode2D system which made movement way smoother and more responsive.

The main thing I’ve gotta address for tomorrow is enemy difficulty scaling. As it stands, you can get infinitely powerful in every stat except speed, so if you played right you’d become essentially immortal. I plan to make the enemies rise in difficulty with each successive spawning of them, and plan to make killing them reward you with experience, which will provide a less frequent but more powerful permanent bonus similar to what opening chests does now. This will add incentive to killing enemies: Kill them and grow stronger; If you don’t, they’ll get stronger faster than you. Other than this, all that’s left is general polish.

Anyways, Unity 4.6 has a great UI system, and good luck!

The Well (Day 3 devlog)

Posted by (twitter: @locknic)
Thursday, February 14th, 2013 9:24 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eP3_gPoB70&feature=youtu.be

Progress! It is actually starting to come together to form a real game now on day 3. The main features added today were checkpoints, death, water, and some new art. Firstly I just wanted to mention that I now have somebody working with me on the project. Someone who read one of my posts about the game messaged me and asked if he could help me with the graphics. Since I am terrible at it, I’ve let him take over the sprite design front.

The Well - Starting game
Falling into the well

Now that I have art to use instead of my black and white placeholder images, the level actually looks like a proper level now. Not only does it look like a real game, but it is starting to have an objective to it. I added in blocks that can kill you now, so these will be things like spikes or lava, and if you touch them you are killed. Luckily, I also implemented checkpoints, so after dying you get respawned at your last selected checkpoint. The checkpoints come in the form of candles. If you walk up to a candle and press x, your character will light it and it will activate that checkpoint. The last thing I added was water, just because it was easy and added some variety to the level. When your character is in water, he is basically just slowed down, so he doesn’t move as fast or jump as high.

The Well - New checkpoint
Checkpoint candles on the right

Today felt really productive because of all the foundation code I had set up in the previous day. It is now easy for me to add all kinds of new blocks with their own functions to the game. I’ve also managed to get this system integrated with the map editor I am using so that none of the levels have to be hard coded, but can all come from file. This results in much more flexible development, and allows the artist to test his art without needing to edit the source code at all.

In order to let the artist and testers play the game, I had to export the game in a runnable jar. This proved to be more difficult than I initially thought because of the way files are handled. The way a jar gets images and files is different to the way I was using before which took me ages to figure out, but now I know better for future projects.

A challenge I had today is that I spent ages trying to figure out a bug I am having with my character’s jumping. For some reason there is a combination of keys you can press you give your character a larger jump than usual. This is something I will have to fix tomorrow as I haven’t entirely ironed out this problem. Tomorrow, I want to work on a menu interface and/or implementing sounds into the game.

For updates and other posts, check my website: http://custardgames.com/

[cache: storing page]