Posts Tagged ‘creatures’

Creature Cutouts, update #1

Posted by
Sunday, April 17th, 2016 9:24 am

Creature Cutouts, update #1

Finally got graphics and physics working together.  One thing I’ve already noticed is that these beasts will be really hard to control so I’ll try to make it as forgiving as possible. Now on to making a creature editor!

I’m in, with Creature Cutouts!

Posted by
Saturday, April 16th, 2016 7:26 pm

creaturecutouts

After struggling a whole day to come up with ideas for LD #35, I finally settled for one that I feel has some potential to be at least a bit interesting. Above is the first render (using PIXI) of a paper cutout that is to be one of the building blocks in the game.

Build A Dinosaur! (from littlefamilyfun.com)

I got the idea from the picture above. Creating creatures from simple shapes seems like a neat idea and “just” by adding physics to the joints they will come alive just like that. Now, I wont probably have time to allow for creating this awesome and walking dinosaurs, but there will be some kind of joints with movements.

You can checkout my progress here http://johntu.github.io/creaturecutouts/

Torch – Post Mortem

Posted by (twitter: @alexlarioza)
Tuesday, May 3rd, 2011 11:30 am

Instead of copying and pasting my post from my own blog, I will write one just for LD!

The most important fact, as with any Ludum Dare, is that I was able to finish! I originally thought I wouldn’t have enough time to get it done, so I threw in the towel roughly 8 hours before. I had second thoughts a few hours later and quickly rushed back into coding. Thankfully I had just enough time to finish it!

Even though this was my first time making a platformer, I’m feel that it isn’t just another run of the mill platform game. I wanted the torch to be part of the player so those moments are more intense when you aren’t holding the torch. I think this worked quite well, but sound effects and a sound track really would have helped the atmosphere.

I usually use 8bit graphics, but I wanted to simplify them further so I wouldn’t be hung on graphics during the competition. I wanted to be spending more time with the actual level design. So I opted for 8×8 sprites scaled to 4x times their size. While it gave the game a cutesy feel, it made text feel awkward as it looks huge on screen. The furthest I’m going to go next time is 2x or I will scale the graphics in my image editor instead of doing it through code.

As I said before, this was my first time making a platformer and I was worried about it being too easy. From the feedback I’ve been given so far, I’ve found that it’s far from easy. There was also an issue near the end of the level where players thought they need to make a blind jump, when in reality they had missed the hidden passage. I’ll make it more obvious in the post-compo version. ;]

Speaking of post-compo, I’ve already added/fixed a bunch of things. Notably I’ve fixed the physics for both the torch and the player so things should be much smoother. I also added much needed particle effects to the torch. I should be releasing it sometime in the next few weeks!

Until then…don’t drop your torch.

 

>>Torch Play and Rate!<<

 

[cache: storing page]