Hi Ludum Darers!
I know I’m a bit late, but I had an idea and I don’t have time to make it real neither during the compo, nor for the jam. (University and work and other stuff in the way :/ )
So I decided to make it public if anyone want’s to make a game, but has no idea for it.
I think it can be done for the jam as you still have more than 2 days for it.
So here it goes.
The game is about a series of boss battles.
When you enter the arena a timer starts, counting up and you have to defeat the boss in the shortest time you can.
You enter with no weapons whatsoever and you have to fight the boss with bare hands…at first!
Then you can of course die from the bosses but when you die you just respawn immediately with some kind of time penalty (or no penalty at all) and you can continue the battle.
However you have the previous warrior’s body lying where he died and you can pick him up, aka use him as a weapon! (and here lies the theme)
You now have a better chance of killing the boss (as you can attack from far) but if you die, you respawn and see the last hero holding the first one, lying on the floor.
You pick them up and thus you have a more elongated weapon. This can go for as long as you’d like. Respawning heros fighting bosses with there predecessors’ dead body-chain.
After some time you defeat the boss, the timer stops and that’s your score.
– you can have an easy boss selector menu, where you can select which boss you’d like to fight, with some kind of indicator of the best time so far (easies menu system ever)
– you can have as many bosses as you like (if you only have time for two that’s good, but you can make 100s of bosses if you have the time and variety idea )
– you can make very different bosses with different abilities (live your dream of creating the most fierce monsters of the galaxy)
– no visual theme so far (it can take place in space or in the stone age or whatever you like)
– not too complicated (main) game mechanics (you can walk and hit, and pick up previous bodies)
– any dimension (in can be 2d or 3d…either works, i thought about it as a diablo-style game, except you move with WASD, but i can imagine a terraria-like bossfight too)
– you can have some point system taking the deaths and bodies used into count, and you can reward the player for defeating a boss with bare hands (but this is not necessary)
– you have to make a chain of dead ppl (depending on the engine you want to use it can be difficult, 3d/2d joints and whatever)
– you have to make the different bosses (bosses with the same abilities get boring in a while, it has to have variety)
– you have to make different models for bosses (i guess)
– IT MUST HAVE AN EPIC SOUNDTRACK 😛 (most necessary part of all, please :D)
The only thing I ask for in return is a “thanks bro” and a mention in the description if you manage to finish it
Have a good Compo/Jam everyone.
I hope I can enter the next Ludum Dare with yall.