Posts Tagged ‘C language’

Hero’s Quest Post Mortem

Posted by (twitter: @SirGFM)
Tuesday, August 25th, 2015 6:15 pm

Click to go to the entry's pageTools

  • Language: C
  • Library: SDL2 + GFraMe (on version 2.0.0-rc3, when the jam ended)
  • MusicVMML
  • SFX: sfxr bfxr
  • Editor: Vim
  • Tilemap editor: Tiled
  • Timelapse: Chronolapse
  • Image editor: GIMP
  • Palette: DawnBringer’s 32 Col Palette V1.0
  • OS: Ubuntu 14.04
  • Streaming: Open Broadcaster Software

My current setup was pretty much the same as I had planned. The only major difference is that I actually streamed during most of the jam, while I had thought I wasn’t going to do so…

Since I’ve done some majors modifications on my library, I was worried with random bugs that I could stumble upon. I did take part of a small jam before the LD to be sure that everything worked, but when it’s only the second time you are actually using something to make a game, you can never be too sure that it will work, right?

There were actually lots of small bugs (I think I did 10 commits to the lib, during the jam), but I was able to tackle’em… There was one that was specially hard to track. After I finished the jam and booted to Windows to “port” my game, it was breaking when parsing the objects… Well, turns out Windows can’t fsetpos on text file… or, at least, on unix-styled text files…

What went right

  • Graphics: Sorry, I must say it like this… They came out so damn good! I’ve been trying for a while to make a game with 32×32 or 24×32 sprite, but I had always failed… until now! Also, I finally felt like I was able to properly use a palette (specially on the rock).
  • Audio: It’s been so long since I was happy with a song I’d written… It isn’t even quite that long, but at least it’s not an 4 seconds loop like last LD.
  • Genre: Finally something that isn’t a platformer (nor a shooter) and is still (kinda) playable. It’s also a beat-em-up, which I’ve been meaning to do for a long while…
  • (Lack of) Time management: Instead of worrying about having an initial plan and trying to achieve that, I tried to do everything that I would need to implement an idea, without actually making the game itself, but making what I had the most polished I could. By the end, I was able to add some story and build a simple level using everything I had prepared, but I didn’t lose any time to ideas that couldn’t be implemented…
  • GIFs: I can finally export GIFs on linux!! And from the game itself!! _o\ \o\ \o/ /o/ /o_

What went wrong

  • Graphics: Yeah, I’m really effing proud of my graphics, but… It took too much of my time, the player only really have two animations (the others were hacked together from those), I reused the enemy like there was no tomorrow to simply have some variety…. There’s a lot to still working on this one…
  • Audio: Once again, even though I’m proud of the song, the SFX are quite bad. It’s missing a lot of small details that I like (the steps when walking, the sword’s ‘swoosh’ [Yeah, it’s a sword… XD])… But, with 25 minutes left, I had to choose what I was going to do…
  • Gameplay: I knew it would be quite a “developer’s difficulty” game, still there was no time to do this properly, so… Yeah, I just didn’t really care about it. This is what I must get better before/at next LD!
  • Lack of Time Management: Even with all the advantages I listed, it was quite a gamble… It could had gone pretty bad…
  • System’s RAM: There was something eating up on my PC’s RAM… I think it was Chronolapse, since everything calmed down after I closed it on Sunday (after restarting my computer twice)… I really should either check it out before next LD or completely give up on it and start streaming only… If I can make the stream’s video into a timelapse kind of thing… it may be worth it….

All in all, I really enjoy LD! It had been quite a while since I last felt like I tried so hard during a game jam (even if I focused mostly on polished instead of on gameplay…).

Read on for a all of text (and some GIFs)…

(more…)

[cache: storing page]