What a day… this Ludum Dare I wanted to use Blender as a level editor for my Three.JS engine to play with:
It’s super, super hacky but I was able to use bones as entity data, where the first bone in a chain had the type and location of an entity, then I used child bones to indicate other parameters. This way I could configure the size of doors, the paths of entities, the size of things etc.
This is the end of the first day for me and I am ecstatic to be able to say I have my game’s level fully designed and playtested. It takes about 10 minutes to beat so that feels about right.
Tomorrow morning I’ll be doing the sound effects and music first (so easy to overlook), then it’s polish time – as much shiny as I can squeeze in in the time remaining. It’s taken all my willpower not to try to do something about the dreadful graphics today. I added no shaders, no parallax effects, no particles, no textures, no lights. The geometry, other than the collision mesh, is just what Three.JS lets you generate procedurally. I am growing as a person by embracing my inner programmer artist.
TIME FOR SLEEP.