One more jam, one more post-mortem. Such is the way of life (for me at least!)
Checked out the theme as it was announced (4.00 am around here). I knew what was coming based on the previous voting rounds, but no idea sprang up immediately (which is usually the case to be honest).
The brainstorming began officially in the next morning. Ranquil joined the storm later at which point all I had was a vague strategy game concept about scavenging and stealing technology. Movement of armies would have taken place on a world map and the action on a separate battle map. In the next few hours I managed to simplify the idea down to a single map close to the style of Advance Wars. Nine hours had already passed since the start of the jam so we set out to work with minimal fuss.
Light turn-based strategy isn’t the most demanding of genres and I had in fact created a similar prototype some 4 years ago. Unfortunately, the half-life of a codebase is way less than that and after 5 minutes of perusing I decided to rewrite the whole thing from scratch. That was a good call. The only system I reused was an A* pathfinding system, which I’ve been using for years in other projects including the last few jams.
No severe problems on this front, just a lot of work.
All the problems piled on the graphics artist this time. First off, Ranquil had been working for the whole summer on other projects, didn’t really like the genre and lastly the drawing table broke when only one asset, the character sprite and walking animation, had been finished.
Due to this calamity all non-essential assets were cut, among these battle animations (and any possibility of a separate battle screen). Ranquil shifted focus to other tasks, like audio research (and found a great song right away!). Luckily the drawing board issue was resolved by Monday and the last essential assets, like the desert ground tile and the main menu background image, were made and implemented. Despite the last day push some programmer art slipped in. (I take what I can get!)
With the game itself feature complete and playable only minor tasks remained: Audio implementation, main menu and tutorial. Once again, nothing I hadn’t done before, although for a jam tutorial this one takes the cake! The whole thing was completed with 2 hours to spare, a new record that. The building and uploading process took about an hour more for the tired mind.
Never have had this grave a production setback before, yet thanks to the small asset requirements of the genre the end product didn’t suffer significantly. The 72-hour jam is much more relaxed than the 48 hour counterpart with time for sleeping and breaks. I like that.
Had a good time and, once again, felt genuinely happy about the accomplishment. Now that is a feeling like no other.
And have a nice, relaxing post-jam life!