I finally uploaded a post-compo version of Snow Day Tiles for One Game a Month (December, so it was posted a couple of weeks ago).
PLAY IT HERE
It has the following changes/upgrades:
– Many more pieces (patterns), almost 70 in total.
– All 6 colors are used and interchanged from the early levels for some variety.
– 14, more balanced (tested) levels. The Ludum Dare version had levels that were thrown together at the last minute (unfortunately). As a result, they were too easy (you could “throw away” tiles around the pattern with no penalty) or too hard/impossible. I spent quite a bit of time (as did my PATIENT testers) looking at each pattern and figuring out which pieces would provide a challenge while still being possible.
– ALMOST every piece that is possible in each level has a place where it can be placed with no effect (or only effecting one tile). This ups the strategy and lets you not get forced backwards too much as you approach the end of a level. The no-effect placements are not always that obvious
– Math in bottom right corner was removed and replaced with bonus/penalty fly-outs from the tiles on the board. One of the comments on the game was that it was distracting to have to look way down at the bottom of the screen to see what point you got for a piece.
– A ring around the play area shows the “target color” for the level. This was another spot where I found that having the info “off to the right” ended up hurting the game. While testing I found myself getting to the end of a level and realized I had filled it with the color from the LAST level!
– Simple on-screen instructions (since it is not accompanied by the Ludum Dare page)
– Added a reference to the current level and how many more are left. My intention was to balance this to give an hour of gameplay (since there is not a save).
I hope all who have some time to try it out have fun!