Star Tribeby GrimGary - Jam Entry
Well. This turned into something a little more than I really wanted to do, and far too much scope creep for 48 or 72 hours. So it turned out to be a great concept for a game. It fell somewhere between a space shoot em up and a tower defense game.
GAME: Defend your planet from invaders arriving in carriers (Mini map red). Your allies will aid you as much as possible (minimap blue).
Shifting Aspect: You can shift between forms if you have enough spirit (bluish bar at the top of the screen) by using the 1-4 keys. There are four forms that confer different abilities.
1) Warrior Form (Basic) - Has decent speed, maneuverability, and above average weapon. But it is light on armor. Luckily you can regen life and spirit (slowly) while in this form. Life is restored to any nearby friendly warriors while in this form.
2) Thunderbird Form: Little more than a speedy way to get from place to place. Virtually no armor, a pea shooter weapon (with a spread), and poor maneuverability. If you call your warbands to aid you though, they will be able to utilize the great speed and arrive quickly.
3) Tortoise Form : Heavy armor, powerful but slow weapon, but very very slow and poor maneuverability. Great for taking down carriers when they run out of fighters to launch (x2 Damage). Enemy fighters that run into you die.
4) Crab Form : Bristling with guns that do lower than average damage. Medium armor and speed. Great maneuverability. It is good for taking out enemy fighters in mass. It does slow down the enemy carrier when you are near one.
You may call friendly tribe members to your aid by pressing E and spending a little spirit. If they are already too close, or engaged in combat they may not come to you. There is no real control over who will come however.
You can visit your home planet to heal up. Your warbands will do the same if they can disengaged from combat.
If a carrier reaches the planet, you die or all your warbands are destroyed. It's game over. Carriers will get slightly stronger each time a new one spawns. There really is no win condition as time didn't permit much effort towards one.
All graphic assets were completed by me.
No audio was added due to time constraints except for background music.
Music by Kevin McLeod. http://incompetech.com/
"Drums in the Deep"
"Night of the Owl"
"Phantom from Space"
Version Update - LD1.1 4/20/2016
* Balance Pass
* Fixed Enemy AI not targeting Friendly AI when player isn't around
* Fixed Carrier Shield. Shows up now and properly stops damage till all fighters are dealt with
* Adjusted Player Life from testing levels to normal levels
* Reduced the size of the hit graphic
* Increased planet regeneration for player life
* Reduced number of Friendly Warriors per Warband
* Fixed full screen - Game should be in full screen mode now
* Fixed carriers not giving spirit to player when they destroyed
* Fixed Kill Counts overall
Downloads and Links
You must sign in to comment.
TEAMS: Teams entering the Jam should pick a single representative to submit your game, or create a team specific account you can share. We currently do not support Team Voting, but sharing an account and together playing and rating games is acceptable.
CAN I ENTER BOTH EVENTS?: You should pick 1 event, whichever you think it’ll do better in. If the idea is strong, and everything plays well enough, you can go Compo. If you’re a perfectionist, and would prefer people to play a more polished game, do the Jam. Historically, more games are entered in the Compo, but with more people and more time, Jam games have the potential to be better (that doesn’t mean they are). Many solo participants do enter the Jam.
If you made 2 games, unfortunately, the website doesn’t support multiple submissions per user. To submit your 2nd game, you will have to make a 2nd account. Only do this if you made 2 games. Alternatively, if one game is better than the other, then consider just entering the better game.
CAN I KEEP WORKING UNTIL THE DEADLINE?: Yes! Immediately after the 48 or 72 hours, we do something called Submission Hour. As the name suggests, it’s an extra hour for you to package, upload, and submit your games. If there were catastrophic issues trying submitting your game, or you misunderstood how submissions work, that’s okay. It happens. We’re flexible. If you need advice, check with the folks on IRC. If you need an admin, get in touch.
CAN I KEEP WORKING ON MY GAME?: Oh definitely! You should! But for the sake of judging, keep the Compo or Jam version around. You can include a link to the Post-Compo/Post-Jam version of your game on your games page, but sure your main links are the original version.
PORTS: Ports to other platforms can be done after the deadline. That said, the sooner you finish your port, the sooner people can play your game, improving your chances of placing in the final results. For best results, provide a Web version of your game, or a Windows version with no dependencies. Also be sure to rate at least 20 games to improve your visibility (Coolness).
MY GAME CRASHES, IS UNBEATABLE, OR I MADE A TYPO: We allow you to fix crashes, win condition, or tiny bugs after the deadline. In a sense, this is like “porting” to support more players. We leave this open to interpretation, but generally speaking your game should be identical to the game you submitted. No new features, just fixing mistakes you should have caught had you been better rested.
MY GAME DOESN’T SHOW UP: If you can’t find your game, it’s usually because the URL to your downloads are missing ‘http://‘. Fix your URLs (http://mysite.com/mygame.zip) and you will show up. Alternatively, if you just posted it, wait a minute. The cache may not have refreshed yet.
NOT LOGGED IN?: If you get a message about not being logged in, even though you are, it’s because your web browser cached the non-logged in page. You can fix this by either refreshing your cache or clearing your cache. CTRL+F5 in many browsers. Chrome is a bit more work. Press F12 to enable Developer Mode, then you can right click on the refresh button and select “Empty Cache and Hard Reload”. This option is unavailable if you are not in Developer Mode.