MoonStarby Caliber_Project - Jam Entry
A young-centric alien being, venturing onto the next intergalactic setting as a humanoid high school student, has suddenly crashed in a mysterious planet, rendering her off course. Needing repairs for her damaged spacecraft, the MoonStar Nova, she must journey through the planet’s creatures and hazards while encountering pursuers.
• A, D letter keys = moving left/right. Indicates the direction of projectiles shot.
• Left, Right arrow keys = moving left/right. Indicates the direction of projectiles shot.
• W letter key/Up arrow key = jump. Press again to perform a double-jump.
• Spacebar = shoots projectiles.
• R letter key = restarts the game. For use when all enemies are cleared.
• Only one level is made.
• There are two enemy variations.
• Enemies will have random HP upon average.
• Meteors appear in the level at random. Some will drop an item called the SolStar. Collect them to recover HP or increase the Attack. It disappears within a couple of seconds.
• There are apparent bugs, such as when damaged while moving. The direction of shooting might change. Simply pressing the keys to move will “fix” the issue. Although the feature may come in handy to use.
• Collisions on platforms are not at best but substantial to enjoy the game at the least.
• Made by using GameMaker: Studio. Apparently the software now creates the exe. files now as installers. Audio is made by using Beepbox. If it’s not too much of a trouble to simply install the game, you have my thanks.
• There are no additional objectives other than to avoid damage by enemies/meteors, and to defeat the enemies in the game.
• While my art/audio composition was to meet the deadline and theme of the game jam, criticism of the game overall is greatly appreciated!
• Check out the 3rd screenshot added for brief gameplay information.
• Current build seems to work fine with Windows 8. It runs in desktop mode (not the app version). Thanks and h/t BarrensZeppelin!
• If build is downloaded from Chrome and mentions if its malicious, it is not. I currently use Mozilla Firefox as my web browser (its becoming decadent over the years, so I may use a different browser at some point). I don't know how to make my namesake as a "publisher" for the build details with GameMaker: Studio, thus I tried to input relevant build information as best I could. Thanks for the notice and h/t Insederec.
• The only win objectives is to defeat the enemies on the screen. I do not want to polish the game anew that may conflict with the voting scores for this build if this makes sense. Those voted on this game I feel they've place great criticism to the current build as is, so I will leave it as is. However, I've brewed further gameplay ideas since its inception. Plus, as my 2nd entry, I did not know you can upload your polished entry. I might do that someday...
Downloads and Links
You must sign in to comment.
TEAMS: Teams entering the Jam should pick a single representative to submit your game, or create a team specific account you can share. We currently do not support Team Voting, but sharing an account and together playing and rating games is acceptable.
NOT LOGGED IN?: If you get a message about not being logged in, even though you are, it’s because your web browser cached the non-logged in page. You can fix this by either refreshing your cache or clearing your cache. CTRL+F5 in many browsers. Chrome is a bit more work. Press F12 to enable Developer Mode, then you can right click on the refresh button and select “Empty Cache and Hard Reload”. This option is unavailable if you are not in Developer Mode.
PORTS: Ports to other platforms can be done after the deadline. That said, the sooner you finish your port, the sooner people can play your game, improving your chances of placing in the final results. For best results, provide a Web version of your game, or a Windows version with no dependencies. Also be sure to rate about 20 games to improve your visibility.
MY GAME DOESN’T SHOW UP: If you can’t find your game, it’s usually because the URL to your downloads are missing ‘http://‘. Fix your URLs (http://mysite.com/mygame.zip) and you will show up. Alternatively, if you just posted it, wait a minute. The cache may not have refreshed yet.
MY GAME CRASHES, IS UNBEATABLE, OR I MADE A TYPO: We allow you to fix crash or win condition bugs after the deadline (in a sense, like “porting” to support more players). We also allow “typo” bugs. I.e. A true that should have been a false, a word that should have been a different word, very tiny changes that you would have caught if you had more sleep. We leave this open to interpretation, but generally speaking your game should be identical to the game you submitted. No new features, just things you messed up last minute. Typos.