Screenedby hexagore - Compo Entry
A **furiously** difficult platform game inspired by some of my absolute favourites. My take on the theme is to take the concept of looping in level design to absurd extremes, constantly reusing sections of the level in order to maximise the gameplay.
Once you can do it, it takes about 9 minutes to complete.
Instructions Which No-one Reads:
There are two exits: You must go between each exit until you escape from the screen. Sadly each time you try to use an exit the world becomes much, much worse. Makes you wonder why you even bother, doesn't it? Discover what lies beyond! Or fail to!
- This is a WebGL game so it should run on any computer with a decent browser and a non-terrible GPU without plugins.
- Cursor keys.
- More Cursor keys.
- Any cursor key you like.
- Although WASD also works if you're one of those rare right handed people.
- YOU CAN ONLY JUMP ONCE YOU'VE STOPPED BOUNCING. Takes a lot to push away from the ground.
- You're a big thing far away, not a small thing. You're a lot heavier and have more inertia than you might expect. Anticipation is the ...
- The longer you hold 'up' when you jump, the higher you'll jump. Mostly you'll just bump your head on things though.
- For the final obstacle, try coming to a stop before jumping over those...things. Whatever they are.
- This game is totally possible to beat. Full video playthrough to come.
Agh it doesn't work:
- Not loading: It seems to take a while to finish loading for some people. If it seems to be taking too long, try reloading it. No idea what's causing this!
- WebGL being a bit experimental and new, if it doesn't work in Chrome try Firefox. If it doesn't work in Firefox try Chrome. If you're using Internet Explorer, try Chrome! Or Firefox! Thank you for being patient.
- On Linux: There's a problem with Intel GPU drivers, apparently, which is breaking WebGL.
OMG MY FPS!:
- Built in Intel GPUs on old and/or cheap laptops are absolutely horrible. Luckily you can make it a little easier on your computer by reducing the size of the browser window and reloading the game. The game's playable between 30-60fps, but below that you're going to struggle a lot. Again, thank for you for being patient. See above re: "Experimental" and "New".
I've changed the audio so that it's using an HTML5 Audio tag instead of the Web Audio API which means the game doesn't need to wait for the music to download before starting. Hopefully this will fix loading problems. *fingers crossed*
Ported the game to support right handed people by adding WASD controls. Sorry.
Added a post-compo version which is basically the same game but the bounce and inertia has been toned down a lot so some people made find it a little easier to beat/get used to. Tweaked the graphics a bit to add support for retina displays and a few other things that don't make a huge amount of different tbh.
Downloads and Links
You must sign in to comment.
TEAMS: Teams entering the Jam should pick a single representative to submit your game, or create a team specific account you can share. We currently do not support Team Voting, but sharing an account and together playing and rating games is acceptable.
NOT LOGGED IN?: If you get a message about not being logged in, even though you are, it’s because your web browser cached the non-logged in page. You can fix this by either refreshing your cache or clearing your cache. CTRL+F5 in many browsers. Chrome is a bit more work. Press F12 to enable Developer Mode, then you can right click on the refresh button and select “Empty Cache and Hard Reload”. This option is unavailable if you are not in Developer Mode.
PORTS: Ports to other platforms can be done after the deadline. That said, the sooner you finish your port, the sooner people can play your game, improving your chances of placing in the final results. For best results, provide a Web version of your game, or a Windows version with no dependencies. Also be sure to rate about 20 games to improve your visibility.
MY GAME DOESN’T SHOW UP: If you can’t find your game, it’s usually because the URL to your downloads are missing ‘http://‘. Fix your URLs (http://mysite.com/mygame.zip) and you will show up. Alternatively, if you just posted it, wait a minute. The cache may not have refreshed yet.
MY GAME CRASHES, IS UNBEATABLE, OR I MADE A TYPO: We allow you to fix crash or win condition bugs after the deadline (in a sense, like “porting” to support more players). We also allow “typo” bugs. I.e. A true that should have been a false, a word that should have been a different word, very tiny changes that you would have caught if you had more sleep. We leave this open to interpretation, but generally speaking your game should be identical to the game you submitted. No new features, just things you messed up last minute. Typos.