The Ghosts You Left Meby CptDustmite - 48 Hour Compo Entry
This is my first Ludum Dare entry. As expected I didn't make a full game but rather more like an intro to a longer game. The gameplay is quite limited, but I thought the idea of collecting memories was one that complemented the general storyline nicely whilst still providing a simple gameplay mechanic.
My goals were to achieve good mood, visuals and immersion, and I'm fairly happy with how it turned out. I would definitely be keen on continuing the game.
- WASD/arrow keys to move
- Hold right mouse button to look around
- In hindsight one of the bits of audio is a little hard to understand, I went overboard distorting it... if you get stuck it says your stuff is in Locker 3 lol :P
- The last memory is not in the first room
- My amazing fiancÃ© Daniel for providing voice acting (the [real] coughing and breathing, the message voice)
- My boss Doug for letting me bring my work computer home which was a lot more convenient than using my laptop
- Engine: Unity
- 3D: 3ds Max
- Graphics: Photoshop
- Audio editing: Audacity
- Audio sources: voice acting, text-to-speech, and recording various noises around my house (very funny!! - the noise of the cryo pod is mostly my kettle starting up, and the cryo pod opening is my mum's car boot opening)
THINGS REMOVED FROM SOURCE:
- The main font used (it's a commercial one I purchased)
- All the old versioned 3D/audio files/etc.
- Anything not used in the final build
TIME SPENT (ROUGHLY):
- 3D modelling: 4 hours
- Unity (lighting, particles, materials, putting scripts/models in), QA: 5 hours
- Animations: 1 hour
- Programming & QA: 2 hours
- Graphics: 1.5 hours
- Audio recording and editing: 3.5 hours
TOTAL: 17 hours
I'll try to put up a postmortem in the next few days.
Hope you enjoy the experience :)
Downloads and Links
You must sign in to comment.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you want to place in the final results, you NEED votes. The easiest way to get votes is by rating other games. Judging lasts for 3 weeks following the end of Ludum Dare. For best effect, rate 20 games as soon as possible. Rating more games is encouraged.
MORE TIPS AND DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE
TEAMS: Teams entering the Jam should pick a single representative to submit your game, or create a team specific account you can share. We currently do not support Team Voting, but sharing an account and together playing and rating games is acceptable.
NOT LOGGED IN?: If you get a message about not being logged in, even though you are, it’s because your web browser cached the non-logged in page. You can fix this by either refreshing your cache or clearing your cache. CTRL+F5 in many browsers. Chrome is a bit more work. Press F12 to enable Developer Mode, then you can right click on the refresh button and select “Empty Cache and Hard Reload”. This option is unavailable if you are not in Developer Mode.
PORTS: Ports to other platforms can be done after the deadline. That said, the sooner you finish your port, the sooner people can play your game, improving your chances of placing in the final results. For best results, provide a Web version of your game, or a Windows version with no dependencies. Also be sure to rate about 20 games to improve your visibility.
MY GAME DOESN’T SHOW UP: If you can’t find your game, it’s usually because the URL to your downloads are missing ‘http://‘. Fix your URLs (http://mysite.com/mygame.zip) and you will show up.
MY GAME CRASHES, IS UNBEATABLE, OR I MADE A TYPO: We allow you to fix crash or win condition bugs after the deadline (in a sense, like “porting” to support more players). We also allow “typo” bugs. I.e. A true that should have been a false, a word that should have been a different word, very tiny changes that you would have caught if you had more sleep. We leave this open to interpretation, but generally speaking your game should be identical to the game you submitted. No new features, just things you messed up last minute. Typos.