December 14th-17th 2012 :: Theme: You are the Villain
Namcap: Reverse Pacmanby caranha - 48 Hour Compo Entry
"It's a simple plan. We kill the pac-man."
The roles are reversed! In this game, you are the bad guy, controlling the ghosts in the game of Pacman. Which side is harder to play with?
Use the directional keys or ASDW to control the ghosts. Press 1-4 to change which ghost you control. Don't let Pacman eat all pellets!
Please let me know your high score when you comment!
* Many commenters complained about ghost selection (hard to know which ghost corresponds to which key). Post-compo version will feature a better ghost selection scheme inspired in the suggestions. Thank you!
* Pacman's AI is dumb. It will get stuck sometimes when it can't find a path to its desired coin. It completely ignores pellets. Still, it should give you a nice challenge.
* I had no time to implement increasing difficulty. So the game does NOT get more difficult as you kill Pacman.
* Someone reported a crash when pathfinding. I was not able to reproduce it.
* Software: Java with Slick2d, programmed with Eclipse
* Graphics: Inkscape and The GIMP
* Fonts: "Joystix" font from the "Game Font Database": http://www.thealmightyguru.com/GameFonts/Series-Retro.html
* Sounds: Bfxr
* Music: Autotracker (I wanted to use darwin tunes, but couldn't get my computer to listen to it)
Downloads and Links
You must sign in to comment.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you want to place in the final results, you NEED votes. The easiest way to get votes is by rating other games. Judging lasts for 3 weeks following the end of Ludum Dare. For best effect, rate 20 games as soon as possible. Rating more games is encouraged.
MORE TIPS AND DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE
REMEMBER: The “Theme” category is only for the main theme (You are the Villain). Don’t penalize for not using Goats.
TEAMS: Teams entering the Jam should pick a single representative to submit your game, or create a team specific account you can share. We currently do not support Team Voting, but sharing an account and together playing and rating games is acceptable.
NOT LOGGED IN?: If you get a message about not being logged in, even though you are, it’s because your web browser cached the non-logged in page. You can fix this by either refreshing your cache or clearing your cache. CTRL+F5 in many browsers. Chrome is a bit more work. Press F12 to enable Developer Mode, then you can right click on the refresh button and select “Empty Cache and Hard Reload”. This option is unavailable if you are not in Developer Mode.
We’ve identified the problem, and should have the page caching bugs fixed for next Ludum Dare.
PORTS: Ports to other platforms can be done after the deadline. That said, the sooner you finish your port, the sooner people can play your game, improving your chances of placing in the final results. For best results, provide a Web version of your game, or a Windows version with no dependencies. Also be sure to rate about 20 games to improve your visibility.
MY GAME DOESN’T SHOW UP: If you can’t find your game, it’s usually because the URL to your downloads are missing ‘http://‘. Fix your URLs (http://mysite.com/mygame.zip) and you will show up.
MY GAME CRASHES, IS UNBEATABLE, OR I MADE A TYPO: We allow you to fix crash or win condition bugs after the deadline (in a sense, like “porting” to support more players). We also allow “typo” bugs. I.e. A true that should have been a false, a word that should have been a different word, very tiny changes that you would have caught if you had more sleep. We leave this open to interpretation, but generally speaking your game should be identical to the game you submitted. No new features, just things you messed up last minute. Typos.