Ludum Dare 31
Theme:
Entire Game on One Screen

Judging ends in:
It’s time to Play and Rate Games!

PlayRate80Star

August 24th-27th 2012 :: Theme: Evolution

Back to Browse Entries

One Day To Breed

by Hazel - 48 Hour Compo Entry

When you only have a single 24-second long day to live, you need to take evolution into your own hands.

Start out as a near useless cube and then control successive generations as you struggle to find the best suited mate and spawn a child slightly more suited to the harsh cube world environment. Also collect more cubes.

Controls:
- WASD or arrows to move
- Space to breed
- z to jump, if you evolve the ability to jump

Features:
- Cubes!
- Two dimensions, plus an additional dimension FREE!
- Bad coder art!
- Worse coder music!
- More cubes!
- Frustration!
- Romance!
- Cubes!

Downloads and Links


Ratings

#70Humor3.25
#71Theme3.79
#136Mood3.14
#145Overall3.42
#155Graphics3.54
#170Audio3.00
#193Innovation3.25
#222Fun3.08
#1013Coolness20%

Comments

Aug 27, 2012 @ 9:32am

Hey, it's a boxcat! I have one of those too :)

Lovely idea. It's fun trying to find a partner for the next generation, and then playing as that one. Love the run-animation, simple and efficient.

Movement can be abit clunky sometimes. I often got stuck on slopes (sometimes on slopes between the level-wall and spikes), which was kinda frustrating.

eyehawk says ...
Aug 29, 2012 @ 11:40am

Haha, I was cracking up at your feature list before I played the game - e.g. bad coder art, worse coder music :) But honestly though quite a cool quirky game! Loved the style of the cat and the cartoony world!

Desi Quintans says ...
Sep 1, 2012 @ 11:13am

Yours is probably the highest I've rated any game so far. The only thing I didn't like about it was that my cube animal would slow down or even get stuck when trying to climb hills.

raohmaru says ...
Sep 1, 2012 @ 11:18am

Loved those cubed cats!
Besides the fun, the game has a goal or a win condition, or are you always evolving?

hgcummings says ...
Sep 1, 2012 @ 11:22am

This was really fun. I really liked the combination of game elements: Frantically trying to find a mate, while avoiding the spikes, and attempting to follow the 'nearest mate' indicator in the bottom left (which I guess actually makes sense, since pheremones or whatever would tell you proximity but not direction). I thought the controls were fine and I liked the movement of the cat, although the camera angle was occasionally a bit awkward. I couldn't tell what the little cubes that you could eat were for; they didn't seem to increase my score or anything else. I thought the graphics and sound worked really well.

Hazel says ...
Sep 2, 2012 @ 1:57pm

Thanks for all the comments! Personally, I wasn't very happy with the final controls or camera. During the compo they varied from even-more-frustrating to great in 90% of situations but completely broken in the other 10%. I actually wanted your character to feel a little inadequate at the start so the species becomes a little more controllable as you evolve, but the problem with hills breaks that.

@Raohmaru You win and the game ends, when you become the "perfect species" - by reaching a certain value in all your stats. Most of your potential mates at that point are going to have the possibility of decreasing your abilities at that stage though.

@hgcummings The yellow cubes give you points, red give health and blue gives more time. The idea was that the cubes don't regenerate so they give you a boost in the start, to prevent the game getting easier rather than harder as you become more powerful. They were a bit last minute though :O

robcozzens says ...
Sep 9, 2012 @ 6:11pm

Great job!

Datw says ...
Sep 9, 2012 @ 6:21pm

The controls/physics were kinda messed up (IMO), but quite good anyway.

Pierrec says ...
Sep 9, 2012 @ 7:17pm

it lags a bit on my computer, preventing me to play it well, but it's rather funny!

sfernald says ...
Sep 10, 2012 @ 7:13am

Cute concept and graphics. Found the short time to find a new mate a little irritating. Also, I could never get jumping to work I think. But still really well done.

samoojamies says ...
Sep 11, 2012 @ 4:35pm

Controls a bit awkward but playable. Overall a great game. Very nice graphics and the theme was implemented succesfully!

KevinWorkman says ...
Sep 12, 2012 @ 12:29am

This is a fun idea and it was good to just play around with, but it would have been cool with some more game elements- maybe some bad guys? Different levels that different traits would be good for? Overall great job for 48 hours!

goerp says ...
Sep 12, 2012 @ 7:54pm

haha it sounds like the bass-voice of the music is saying meow meow. Cute and definitely evolution. Good one.

You must sign in to comment.


[cache: storing page]