August 24th-27th 2012 :: Theme: Evolution
Cannibal Slugmage of Edenby triliyn - Jam Entry
Note that when the game is started, a CMD window will appear with a lot of errors (though this seems to be fixed in the post-compo version). Rest assured that these ARE normal and usually do not interfere with play once the SDL window appears.
There is no tutorial right now, so this will require some explanation.
* Move around with wasd. (In the post-compo version, controls have been changed to qweasdzxc to allow diagonal movement. Sorry, non-qwerty people. :( )
* Press g and then a direction key to grab in that direction.
* Press t and click a slug in your inventory to drop it.
* Press m to enter magic mode. While in magic mode, you can eat slugs for mana or click a spell to enter casting mode. While in casting mode, click the world to cast your selected spell. (Note that, as in Magic: The Gathering, ending your turn resets your mana to zero!)
* Mouse over a slug or a spell to see its stats.
* *** If you get stuck (such as by entering Magic Mode or Drop Mode without any slugs in your inventory), in the post-compo version, you can press escape to end your turn. ***
* Lightning: 1 mana. Kills exactly one target slug.
* Hand: 5 mana. Puts the target slug in your inventory.
* Fire: 10 mana. Kills all slugs in the target square and all adjacent squares.
* Dawn (unimplemented): 100 mana. Ascend to godhood and remake the world in your image.
* Mana: the amount of mana you receive for eating this slug.
* Docility (TAME): the slug's aversion to fights. Slugs with low TAME will frequently kill slugs around them (but not you, for they are lowly slugs and you a mighty Slugmage!)
* Perseverance (PERS): the slug's attention span. Slugs with low PERS will frequently switch targets.
* Weight (WGHT): currently no effect. Originally, the Slugmage was to have a weight limit, so that slugs would have to be bred for low weight in addition to high mana yield.
* In addition, each slug has a color that is derived from its weight (green), docility (red -- low docility means HIGH red!), and mana yield (blue). Slugs with radically differing colors will have trouble mating.
Monsters in Slugmage, as lesser beings than yourself, cannot harm you. However, as they are the main source of the mana with which you exert your divine presence, you would do well to learn about them.
* Font of Life: actually a type of venerable slug, Fonts give up their mobility in exchange for independence and asexual reproduction. Fonts remain capable of sexual reproduction (but cannot initiate it) and grant renewed life to weary slugs around them.
* Slug: a stupid creature that has nothing better to do than chase random other monsters. Slugs require constant rejuvenation from their home font, and will return to it when they begin to shrivel up. Certain slugs with low perseverance may give up their futile chasing altogether to become Fonts.
Downloads and Links
You must sign in to comment.