(Crosspost with: http://rs.gam3dev.com/2011/11/04/october-challenge-aftermath/)
I’ll go ahead and say it out loud in the first place: the october challenge is over, and we failed. I do not know how other people here deal with this kind of thing, but in case it is not obvious, it is hard to say this. I do not mean to be discouraging or pessimistic, but I think admitting our failures and not just dismissing them, no matter how hard it is, is an important first step towards becoming better.
While my hopes were high on having something sellable within a month, I am aware that we are still very immature concerning game making, in almost every aspect. But even in not completing the challenge, we learned something. We tried to make something from scratch, and have at least improved our technical and (on a lesser degree) game designing skills. I hope that next time we can reach play testing, or who knows actually trying to market a game.
Our problem might have been not taking one of our incomplete projects and invest the time in it, it might have been not being able to do the first things first, or even not having a plan at all. And this is where I think we can learn from failure itself. After failing we analyze the past objectively…by thinking what went wrong we can create a path forward, a path of improvement that leads to the future!
So, best of luck to every game designer out there. And congratulations to those that actually cleared the challenge!