Archive for the ‘MiniLD #06’ Category
Finished! (requires Python + PyGame) Since the first release there has been added:
- Power ups (rockets and plasma guns)
- Better rect class that supports floating point numbers
- Score now caps at 1,000
- More level tweaking
- Various improvements here and there
I’m fairly sure this is going to be the final version of my game “Infection Fighter” – I could carry on tweaking the gameplay forever – it’s too easy to win right now, but I think I’m more likely to decide on the best way of fixing that after the competition.
I haven’t finished packaging the windows version into an exe (and I probably won’t be able to find enough time as I’ve got to make up for spending most of my weekend coding), so windows users will need to have python and Pygame to run it – like the rest of us
You can get it here. (69Kb)
Here’s my entry. You control a spider that is in dire need of getting more legs. Sort of.
Windows 32-bit binary with D source
Collect all powerups to complete level. This will give you a time bonus.
If time runs out or if you fall outside the world, the level ends, but you are left with the score you got for any collected powerups.
Enter to start game.
Esc to quit (also at level over etc).
Left click/hold to set target. Speed based on distance.
Right click/hold to set target and jump.
You need to walk slowly to round edges.
You can only sort of jump away from the current surface you are on.
Some source was previously written, but only sort of texture loading, font rendering and some init code.
Uses GLFW, FModEx, sfxr and some other stuff.
Also, note that the title bar is a total lier. The game did not take 32h to make, but 40h. That math is tricky stuff.
(For the framework stuff, the score is read from and written to ‘score.txt’.)
Well.. my working title is evolving a little from “Monochrome Train”. Anyway, here is the update:
I have been working like mad during this miniLD#6. I worked 12 hours on Friday, 17 hours yesterday, and now I have a little over 5hours left to at least wrap up the gameplay. At this point I’m going into triage mode again like many LD format competitions force us. In a last minute rabid attempt to cram and adjust all the critical features that will turn a project from a demo into a game. This being my third LD type event I have yet to feel that I’ve suceeded within the timeframe. Not sure this time will be any different yet but at least a big difference is that this time I have been able to play my game a LOT more during creation. Probably to the detriment of the timeline a little. I guess that is a good sign though. Anyway, 8am EST is almost here and that is when my crunch time begins. I have made a critical todo list to accomplish during this time and we’ll see how it goes!
- score file handling to support matrins compo requirements
- detecting most primitive form of ‘you win’ condition when reaching locomotive at head of train
- enemies – spawning, moving, fighting, dieing, dodging (of some type)
- simple player / enemy animations for the logic I have coded so far (right now there is no animation)
- simple event sounds
- tiny train like soundtrack loop (update: DONE @ 9am)
- how to page? I am confused on this because due to the matrin framework requirement– I was planning on using his idea of the 400×400 image in his framework to provide how tos… but I also want people to be able to know how to play if they just download this level from the blog without the loading framework.. so there is the connundrum of sorts.
- animations for train wheels and locomotive parts and steam cloud
Current screen shot above and current windows build here. Use arrow keys (left/right/up) to move or gamepad stick with button 1 to jump.
Seeya all on the other side!
I’m really not in control of the design process here. I’m making up restriction as I go along, constantly changing directions. The good thing is however that as I add restrictions, the amount of possible out comes drastically shrink. Currently the game is about being a cell and trying to eat other cells to grow, while looking out for “bad” cells, that will eat our shrink you.
All seen from the perspective of a microscope. It does it look kind of interesting, but it is far from fun yet.
I’m only starting really, but here’s a progress shot:
Still need to implement… well, everything…
It’s amazing! It’s wonderful! It has potatoes.
Get it here. Uses C++ and SDL. Written & compiled in MSVC++ 2008 Express edition. MS Paint & GIMP for graphics. SFXr & Musagi for the sound & music that didn’t make it in.
Note: this is the Debug build because for some reason the Release build refuses to compile.
EDIT: See new post (http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/2009/01/11/balloon-game-update) for version that should actually work.
I thought I’d post the game in it’s current state as I’m heading for more sleep – I’ve updated the physics a bit and tweaked the game logic, but I have to make it tougher, save the scores to a file, add some kind of game-over screen, and dig out an old windows box to see if I can remember how to make an exe from python (py2exe?).
[same screenshot as before - except with lives]
Feel free to have a play and comment – You’ll need python and PyGame – then just run main.py
You can download it here…
It’s a simple idea, but I hope it’s fun (I’ll make it tougher to play by the end).
So, just found out about this tonight and thought I’d make up for the fact that I still haven’t finished my LD13 entry yet I’ve got an idea for something using the “Minimalist” theme; will start work on it tomorrow morning (I’ve only got till 5pm here, so it’ll probably be fittingly minimal, heh).
Almost final version of my monochromatic Zombii (NOT zombie) game. It’s a classic top-down shooter in which you have one goal: kill all zombiis. Enjoy.