Ludum Dare 24
Ludum Dare 23
About sampyxis (twitter: @sampyxis)
Archive for the ‘LD #23’ Category
So, for the jam – we’re still going.
It’s been hard but very rewarding.
Today we finished up lots more code, starting in earnest on the levels, made more of the animated characters, wrote the story and dialog pieces, and did the music.
Very big day.
We’re all wiped out, bags under our eyes, but it’s been rewarding.
Tomorrow is a work day for me, but I think I’ll try to spend some time on the polish. Everyone else can work on it though.
We’re pushing through into the home stretch!
Things are starting to come together now.
We’ve got a lot more of the backgrounds, tiles, and animations for the characters.
It’s very modular now as well, so we can start just adding levels, items, pickups, etc. with very little little change in the code.
Now, we need to work on the game play mechanics as well as music and then just build out lots and lots of levels!
We’re pretty beat since we stayed up so late last night, we’ll probably only make it another hour or so, but really looking forward to some polish tomorrow.
We’re doing the jam – as a family, which is really interesting.
We spent a couple of hours going through different ideas for the theme of ‘Tiny Worlds’ – and the one that we thought would have the greatest latitude for us would be to be playing as a bee.
So, here’s what we have so far.
The title is Propolis. Which I think is really cool. Propolis is made out of the resin that the bees use to line the hive.
The kids worked on the images – and they came out really cool.
My wife is building the story and working on the levels.
I’ve finished writing the main code base (with lots and lots of help from the forums for Slick2d).
We stayed up pretty late last night (like 3 am) – woke up late today – got some nice pastries – and are ready to start fresh!
We’re in – but as a family team this time – game jam.
So, we’ll be using:
We’re doing this as a family, so we’ll be splitting up tasks in terms of coding, game design, game story, and graphics.
Last time, we finished the game, but we couldn’t get the java ant file figured out in order to build the jar and post it online. We forgot to figure that out before we started! (duh).
So, we’ll hopefully have a full web build – and really looking forward to it.