Really enjoyed the theme this time round. I had a clear idea of what I wanted to make right from the outset. The game was originally intended to be a bit more of an RTS, but I ended up shoehorning in some more arcadey elements so that the whole thing was a bit more “gamey”. As a result the game ended up being kinda frustrating and stressful to play.
I’m going to be working on a updated version over the next few weeks, reworking the gameplay to focus more on building and calm fun, which will hopefully include:
- Originally I had the option to scroll between the different layers (surface, aquifer, rock, magma etc.). I’m planning to re-implement that and allow subterranean mines and magma forges!
- The ability to build gyropters and send them to explore other floating islands
- I’m going to redesign the combat element of the game, so that you can construct turrets for defence and so that the attackers are more varied and less overwhelming
- Reworked GUI and controls
- I’ll probably also get rid of the “hover over resources to collect” mechanic
Post-compo version coming.