Ludum Dare 23
Ludum Dare 22
About karnakgames (twitter: @KarnakGames)
I make games. And I work with Snakes. And I'm studying Veterinary. I may be crazy. I R CRAZY!?
Archive for the ‘LD #23’ Category
I have played around 80 compo games by now and four of them didn’t have a link to the source code. The rules state that: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/rules/
Competition Rules and Eligibility
Ludum Dare Competition rules are stricter than the Jam rules. This is to encourage a fairer playing field for participants. The core rules are:
- You must work alone (solo).
- All game code and content must be created within the 48 hours. **
- Games must be based on the theme.
- All publicly available libraries and middleware are allowed.
- All content creation, and development tools are allowed. (3dsmax, Photoshop, Flash, etc)
- Source code must be included.
A very short Postmortem about my Compo entry: Ant, Bee, Cow, Pig and Spider BOSS. http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-23/?action=preview&uid=2465.
I think I shouldn’t have participated this Ludum Dare, I was/am overwhelmed with work, and I should have kept working on the weekend. Also I hated the game I submitted.
What went wrong
- Came with around 10 ideas; worked a bit on each one of them and on the end the game was nothing related to the initial ideas.
- Worked only 10 hours.
- The graphics, ah the awful graphics.
- Too short: I’ll blame the fact I had dozens of ideas and didn’t work on a specific one, so I couldn’t focus on more levels/mechanics.
- Problems with the 2D library in Unity: I decided to go with Orthello 2D free version, but I have never used it before. I spent the first hour just playing around with it and on the end I gave up and had to go with my own solution from scratch (I normally work with 2D Toolkit, but since it is a commercial library I can’t use on the compo).
- I didn’t like my end result.
- I drank too much cold Cola, so I’m a bit ill now.
What went right
- Used tools I’m familiar with.
- Althought I’m a bad artist (99% of my time in “real life” I’m doing only programming), I’ve gone the only art route I know: pixel art.
- I had fun.
- Unity3D (C#, iTween)
Play and rate it here: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-23/?action=preview&uid=2465.
Missing 3 minutes to the end of the Compo Submission, I managed to submit my entry! Play it here: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-23/?action=preview&uid=2465.
Ant, Bee, Cow, Pig and Spider BOSS!
A mix of jumping, shooting and a little stealth.
Again, you can play it here.
While building a level to my “Shmup Boss” idea I ended up having lots of fun with the insects and decided to abandon the Shmup idea; that would have no direction. Instead, now I’m focusing on a single mechanic, which will be way better to produce – and acceptable to my limited time frame.
For now it is an Insect/Bug’s Life mix of Stealth and Collaboration game (w/ unlockable characters and mechanics according to your progress).
Metal Gear Ant! *
I’ve uploaded a simple playable build with stealth detection: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11453596/LD/23/sb/sb.html
* Temporary name.
This is my game pitch: “A game where you control insects that have to collaborate to gather resources that power a Shmup mothership boss – the insects morph into the mothership”.
You basically control the NPC side of the Shmup, in a two stage game: gather resources and then Shmup action! Also the resources gathered are used by the boss (you) in battle. So if you gather just a few of them, you may end up dyeing to to the enemy.
You can play a very rough build here (nothing yet aside to allow moving with WASD + Jump with space): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11453596/LD/23/sb/sb.html
It’s being a hard day. It’s already 8 PM and I could say I worked on the game for just 2 hours; I spent the rest of the time procrastinating about the game. Due to the small progress I don’t know if I’ll manage to finish it for the Compo. Anyway, what do I have:
- Gameplay Idea.
- Characters animations (yes, more than one) and main tiles.
- 2D framework in Unity.
- Unpolished background.
Came with an idea while on the bed yesterday, then sprited some insects with Sprite Somethings on the iPad. But it’s already 11 in the morning and I haven’t made any progress. Will now finish the sprites in Photoshop and start working on the gameplay. Also the sided flying insects will be changed to top down. The only side view insect will be the ant.
Seriously, if you don’t watch this video you are losing part of your game design life, energy, inspiration, motivation, and all these fancy words: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FpigqfcvlM (a funny yet deep comparison of game mechanics and controls).
I’m in for the second time, even although I’m flooded with work to do
This will be my second time, but having read “The Game Jam Survival Guide” book I saw how I’ve done wrong last time. At least I have a better understanding of all this atmosphere and I hope to do way better. Last LD I just did a “test game“, it had a level and a extremely linear gameplay; some persons called it an animation instead of a game, and I agree.
Sticking to what I know! Depending on the theme I may do a 2D or 3D game.
- Unity 3D with C#, iTween, Orthello 2D (the Free version)