After completing my first LD, I have been playing and rating many different games. While playing/rating, I’ve noticed a few things that I should do next time to make my game better. Here is a list of what I have so far. Please comment if you have anything to add.
- Games should be 32 bit not 64.
- Cross platform things like Unity, web games, or Java games are also good.
- Any background music that isn’t annoying to listen to is a good use of time.
- Clear controls and simple game play.
- Gamepad/XBox controller support is awesome.
- Good collision detection is important. I’ve been stuck inside too many things. -_-
- Games that look cool send a better first impression.
- Arrow key alternates seem to be very nice for people with non QWERTY keyboards.
I know its kinda short… but oh well, its better than nothing! If you’re interested in seeing where I am coming from for my list of improvements, you can play my game here: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-23/?action=preview&uid=6529