I read a few other post mortems already. Why post mortem by the way? Is my game dead? Is it just to have more Latin in this competition?
So, this is my game. If possible play it first, so you have a better understanding of what I’m writing here: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-23/?action=preview&uid=12423 . Comments are welcome!
What was great:
- participated for the first time, and discovered a great community
- actually finished the project
- decent gameplay
- nice title/ending screen
- somehow came up with music (http://www.earslap.com/projectslab/otomata – a loop of 36 seconds. And I made two tracks out of that) and graphics (restricting yourself is the key to success)
- didn’t need sound effects, because, you know, it’s set in space
What was bad:
- while the main content of the game was complete, I really could have needed some more time for polish
- the player should have had more information about the game and more of a tutorial. Nearly every commenter said getting into the game is very hard. And it is. I noticed this, and only had time to add “F1 for manual” to the title screen.
- The save-/load-system sucks.
- I also planned to increase replay value by adding achievements, as “I HATE THIS PLANET – Build two Uranium Fires on one planet, escape from another one”
- the game is named after it’s protagonist, but it’s not really about him. You only know that he tried to shoot the vice president. I wanted to add dialogue between the Police guy and Gale in the title screen. If you waited long enough, they should have had conversations (Police guy: “So, why did you even shoot the vice president? Everybody would go for the president.” Gale: “Yes, but I voted for that guy. I might be an assassin, but I’m not a hypocrite” etc.). Also, the Police guy leaves him/her (Samus syndrome) to die and tells him/her “This is what you deserve for shooting the vice president”. Gale would have a pool of answers for every startup : “I’m glad I’m here, because this is the first time I’m free” or “I didn’t shoot him, I missed”.
So, this is what I wish I could have added to the game. But if you take some time, chances are that you will really like my game anyway. And I prefer to have one that loves it and two that don’t like it to having three who think it’s average.
Looking forward to the next LD,