First of all… Thanks everyone involved making this happen. It has been another great LD. Please keep doing what you are doing, we love you! The possibility to get together with programmers all over the globe this way is amazing.
My goal this LD was to make some kind of platformer. I have always avoided collision detection and I felt that this was a nice way to force myself to learn how to do it. A drawback of my early decision (“pre-theme”) was that I had a hard time adjusting to the theme, but I think I gained more knowledge this time around than I have ever done before in LD.
>> LINK TO GAME <<
I decided a genre before the theme was released wich made it possible to mentaly prepare for the type of obstacles that could hit me. That made it easy to start with the unsure stuff and clear that up early in development.
Testing, testing, testing:
I played the game… ALOT. Every time I put something new in, I tested and tweaked it until it felt nice. It felt better to have a few polished mechanics than alot of wonky ones.
It’s a big difference between not sleeping at all and sleeping less than you usualy do. I only cut 2 hours from my normal sleeping cycle wich made me able to think clearly. The most of my development happend during morning, after a good nights sleep.
Disregard of intuition:
The most obvious stuff that I feel needs tweaking now is the stuff I felt unsure of the first time I tested it. I didn’t feel that I had time to perfect it, but would have ended up with a better game if I did.
Music and sound:
Now… I do feel that the sound and music in the game is ok. But I feel that I could’ve done a better job with it. Some more differences in the melodies. More than one song. Unfortunatly, time got in the way.