Ludum Dare 28
Ludum Dare 27
Ludum Dare 26
Ludum Dare 25
Ludum Dare 24
Ludum Dare 23
Ludum Dare 22
Ludum Dare 21
Ludum Dare 20
Ludum Dare 19
Ludum Dare 18
Ludum Dare 16
About Sos (twitter: @Sosowski)
Hi! I'm Sos!
I'm an average programmer guy and I suffer from untreatable compo addiction. That's how I got here :P
Also, I have a website: http://www.sos.gd/
Archive for the ‘LD #22’ Category
Ok, I guess everyone here packaged and submitted the game already, but as I was trying some of them out, I thought that it’s a good thing to post some advice on how to make your game work out of the box, thus getting more views and plays. Consider repackaging the game if some of the below points apply to yours!
How to have your game working out the box:
- First of all
- Listen to suggestions, people will surely feedback if the game is not working for some reason! Check comments, come to IRC and ask if the game runs fine.
- Make a gameplay video and include it in your game links! Even if someone is unable to play, he can give you some ratings (e.g. Graphics and Audio)!
- Downloadable games
- Subdirectory - Include a directory with your game files in the downloadable archive, it makes unpackaging way easier!
- Decrease size – make sure you remove all redundant files form the archive!
- File name – avoid using file names such as ld.zip, ld22.zip, alone.zip etc.
- Include classid parameter when embedding!
- Add a preloader if your game is over 1MB!
- Create Love executable!
- Keep the original .love for Linux and Mac users!
- Use Py2exe!
- Keep the source inside too!
- Make sure your game works in different browsers! At least Firefox and Chrome!
- Use OCRA to package your game into executable!
- Game maker
- Submit the game to Yoyogames sandbox! It will allow people to play it online.
- Use ldd to pick and package correct libraries with your game!
- Mac users
- Use WineBottler to play most of the windows entries!
- Read DO’s and DON’Ts list by Mathias Zarzecki!
- “[…] Damn. I spent ages searching for such a place. Ah well. I’ll do it next time.” SUPERBAD!
- Do it now! That’s what this guide is for!
If you run across anything annoying regarding packaging, or have a piece of valuable advice, write it in the comments, and I will snip it to the list!
So, till the final hours I had no idea what kind of a game I’ll be making with my city. Eventually I ran out of time to implement plot, or fully include the theme. So there’s no plot, it’s pretty much arcade But still, I don’t think I could have done anything more within 48h.
Ok, I have car crashes done now. I need to make player movement and i’m pretty much almost there!
I just modelled a car and textured it. I’m staying with that and i will call it Grotesque 16V.
It needs an engine now, so I’m off to work
I’m currently modelling stuff for my game! Here is what I’ve got so far:
There are still no textures, but I will work on that later. I need to model few more homes now, and i’ll get to tiny things like lamps, trees, fences, benches etc.
Man I hope i can make it! Thumbs up!
Okay, I’m drawing the city! It’s gonna take me some time, and I hope I can get it done today! Actually there is no way I can not have this ready today
So, I’m drawing the map, when I’m done I’m going to 3d some models to unflatten the thing, and when that happens, I’m totally done for today!
So, I’m using Flash 11 Stage3D thingie to get stuff working!
Here is what i’ve got so far:
My idea is to have a city ready today, and tomorow I’ll think about the gameplay.
I just finished writing a tutorial that goes in pair with my platformer framework. I hope that someone will actually use it!
- A link to Flashpunk tutorial
- A ready framework platformer project
- Handling collisions and gravity and stuff
- Integrating Tile Studio and Graphics Gale
- Source package of one of my game made using this
It should enable anyone who knows at least some programming to make a platformer using this druing the Ludum Dare!