Ludum Dare 22 was the first time I actually finished a game, I made a simple zombie-survival, platformer.
What went right?
- Finished a game: I finished my first game ever.
- Familiarity with language and framework: I knew how to use Java and Libgdx, so I didn’t have to look up a lot of things on the internet.
- Audio: I recorded zombie sounds and edited them in Audacity.
What went wrong?
- Menus: I spent too much time adding menus that didn’t really add anything to the game, I should have spend that time on the story and features instead.
- Art: I should have made pixel art instead, it looks a lot better.
- Unfamiliarity with IDE: Eclipse didn’t want to package my game into a jar file, lost quite some time trying to fix it.
- Sidescrolling: I made a sidescroller without scrolling :P. I agree with the comments about my game, it was confusing.
Next time I’ll spend more time figuring out a story and adding features to the game. I’ll make pixel art and have written a tutorial for myself, so that I won’t get stuck trying to make a runnable jar. I’ll also make a timelapse video.
But the most important of all: I had fun. Even if I didn’t get very good ratings, I had a fun time making the game and I will participate in Ludum Dare 23 this weekend.
You can play my game here: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-22/?action=preview&uid=8385