Well, zombie island is done. Very disappointed in my level generator code, but I may revisit it and fix it so the levels are more interesting. Sadly, I ran out of time and had already spent about 3 hours debugging it :'(
Employed Game Programmer who, oddly enough, really hates programming games! Love my low level code, and bury myself deep in engine code when I can, but will sometimes come out of hiding to write game code for a competition. Love graphics and sound, but a bit more biased to sound programming.
Ludum Dare 35
Ludum Dare 32
Ludum Dare 31
Ludum Dare 29
Ludum Dare 28
Ludum Dare 27
Ludum Dare 26
Ludum Dare 25
Ludum Dare 24
Ludum Dare 23
Ludum Dare 22
Ludum Dare 21
Ludum Dare 20
Ludum Dare 17
Ludum Dare 15
Archive for the ‘LD #17 – Islands – 2010’ Category
Didn’t do a sanity check before going to bed last night, so heres the photo I taken (I tried taking about 3 but failed):
And now, in the last hours of the contest!
And the ball is rolling! The sprites are drawn (some anyway), and I’m now finishing off OBJ support in the PPU emulator class. Here is the sprite sheet I’ve just drawn up, see if you can guess where I’m going:
Been programming for almost 24 hours now, and my game is still no closer to being a game. Time to move onto some kind of game logic now I think, I’ve left it too long – I don’t know what it will be, but I’ll make something work. Anyways, heres a new fangled screenshot – now with poor reception!
This is not going as well as planned. I’ve spent the first few hours writing a working PPU emulator, and up until now mostly writing high level utility code to make the PPU easier to work with. I also finished the landscape generator, it still needs to put foliage and stuff there, but that shouldn’t be all that painful! Have an unimpressive screenshot of it:
It’s going well, what I need to work render side is there, so I decided to kick back and start drawing some art up with my restrictions of 4x 2 bit palettes, and choice of one of these palettes for each 8×8 tile. It’s actually pretty fun doing artwork like this – my main problem with art is all the choices I can make. Having strict limitations has forced me to think a bit smarter when drawing up my artwork. First, sanity check, then a sneak peak at my background tile sheet.
Well, it’s been a lot of hours, and I’ve only just hit the point where I can test out all this bloody PPU code. The background layer & palettes appear to be working correctly now, all my problems were down to pretty much autopiloting my way through the tile rendering and reading code, missing off simple things like having “iY” instead of “iY * NESPPU_TILE_W” when indexing into the tiles. Bleh, it’s done, and I have a progress shot, as well as a sanity check shot:
Basic engine is there and works – input, game state management, load of utility stuff. The NES layer – currently only the PPU, is mostly written. Palettes correctly handled, utility functions for rotating palettes, and Background and OBJ rendering code is complete. Now to tie it into the final render down to an SDL_Surface. Drawn up my font sheet for the BG layer too
Well, the final count down is here, little time to go to finish off that base code, and I discovered today I’ve lost my NES PPU Emulator code which I was going to use for my renderer. Not to worry, should only take an hour or two to write again. Anyways, before I forgotten, I decided to get my workstation photo in, and a photo of why sleep will be tricky – been sorting through my things and eBaying stuff this evening, so everything is on my bed -_-
And onto the food. It’s 1 week till pay day, I’m pretty much broke – and I’m left with minimal ingredients in my cupboard. So here is a photo of the actual edible stuff I have:
In there I have 1 rather large bag of pasta shells, an out of date jar of chocolate spread, 2 tins of chopped tomatos, 2 tins of tuna, a bar of chocolate, golden syrup, and a tub of coffee. I also have a variety of herbs and spices, a small amount of frozen veg, and a jar of mayo. Would anyone like to make some suggestions for what I can make when one becomes hungry? If ideas suggested aren’t too gross, I will prepare suggestions and take photos before, during, and after! How’s that for mid-LD entertainment? Make Neilo make bad food 😛
Well, LD17 is just over a day away, and the final theme has not been announced just yet. My last LD challenge was ASCII art, and to continue the “challenge” theme, I have a new one this time round. I’ve seen a fair share of “8-bit” games, or so they claim – the only “8-bit” thing about them is they use a 256 colour palette. Now myself, that’s cheating! I want to take it to the next step, “8-bit” to me does not mean colours, it means CPU. Originally I was going to do LD17 in 6502 assembly for the NES, but after a brief look at doing it – there is no way I would finish anything even slightly respectable, or even to be proud of. No, you won’t get to see this from me:
.WaitV: lda $2002 bpl .WaitV ldx #$00 stx $2000 stx $2001 dex txs ldy #$06 sty <$01 ldy #$00 sty <$00 lda #$00
So yeah, I feel I’m not doing this quite as authentically as I should be – I’m not going to limit myself to an 8-bit architecture running at ~1.79Mhz for the game code. I am going to be limiting myself to the same capabilities as the NES’s PPU and APU though! Sprite count, single background, 2-bit colour per cell limits, the lot. It’s all still fresh on my mind due to writing a NES emulator not too long ago (still unfinished, but works for most mapper 0 games). I shall be logging my progress on here, and posting pictures and screenshots as I go.