I’m supposed to say, right? Just covering my bases.
Ludum Dare 37
Ludum Dare 36
Ludum Dare 35
Ludum Dare 34
Ludum Dare 33
Ludum Dare 32
Ludum Dare 31
Ludum Dare 30
Ludum Dare 29
Ludum Dare 28
Ludum Dare 27
Ludum Dare 26
Ludum Dare 26 Warmup
Ludum Dare 25
Ludum Dare 25 Warmup
and if I am i’ll probably use the same shit as in my other “i’m in” posts. This crept up on me.
So far I haven’t missed a Ludum Dare since 25, my first. I’m not sure if I have the motivation to do it this time, but I think I probably still will.
Sound: BFXR and abundant-music.com.
Can I enter a game based on an IP which is now in the Public Domain? Like if I wanted to make The Mysterious Affair at Styles, the game?
Howdy, y’all. I’m in again unless I’m not. That may seem a wishy-washy attitude, but it’s gotten me through 4 LDs so far.
IDE: I tend to alternate between Aptana Studio and Geany.
Art: Paint.NET all the way, baby. Also might try out pickle (It’s a sprite editor thing).
Sound: Audacity, BFXR, Walk Band (Which is a name that doesn’t allude to anything), and maybe a bit of my own voice.
Behold, mortals. A game hath been cast unto thee.
I can use a font I didn’t make myself, right?
It’s playable here.
If the theme is something I can work with I’ll enter.
Art: Pinta, a lovely simple tool.
Sound: GarageBand for music, BFXR for sound effects and Audacity for any editing.
I knocked them together for my own use and figured other people might want to use them. Nothing special but you won’t have to do it yourself if you don’t want to. Here you go.
Last weekend, I made a game. This game was called 10 Parsecs. (Because a parsec is the parallax of one arcsecond).
This was my third time entering the compo. The first two times I did “kinda okay”. This time, I’ve decided, was a rousing success. At the time of writing, I’ve had three requests for a post-compo version and one piece of fanart from this guy (which would imply that I also have a fan). This is quite clearly awesome.
This was the first time using Unity for the Ludum Dare. I already knew it quite well thanks to a super secret ongoing project I’ve been working on, and because of Quill18’s tutorials. I didn’t write any of my scripts in Boo even though I’m one of like seven people who even know what that is. I would like to see Io added as a scripting language in Unity, just to see how it would work.
I used blended for what little 3D modelling I did. I’ve never been good at Blender. I don’t think I’ll ever be any good at blender. It just intimidates me so. Yet, I managed to produce a somewhat acceptable spaceship model.
I used paint.NET for my images, because photoshop is a rediculous price and I’m vemhently against piracy. I used a method I invented for creating cool looking images, in which I create some pixel art and then scale it up bicubically. This doesn’t work for many things, but it does make really cool looking fire.
Due to time constraints, there was no sound whatsoever in my game. Clearly, something to rectify in the Post-Compo release.
You start to lose control over your ship after going through a black hole or collecting an orb. This gets progressively worse as you continue. I know exactly what causes this and will fix it post-compo.
The code is full of hacks (Due to a problem with the rotation of my models after importing them from Blender, I had to use “transform.right * -1” in place of “transform.forward”).
Even though this was my first “full” game with polygonal graphics, I did not manage to include the phrase “Strong Bad is on point”.
I started with a quirky take on the theme. 16 hours in I had a kinda cool star system procedural generator / simulator. By the end of day one I have a ship which could explore these systems. By 36 hours I had pirates which would swarm around you and gun you down. By the end, I’ve shoehorned in a boring win condition and left no time for testing and tweaking, and no music to liven up this dull experience. Go me.
Also, Unity crashed 30 minutes from the end (I didn’t think the whole thing would crash because of an infinite loop in a script). Thankfully, the nature of my game is such that I was able to restore it quickly, but God knows what monstrous bugs this quick-fix has added.
But the shader for the ships is kinda sexy, so there’s that.
Well, I have a build for day 1 here.
Also, look at the elegance:
Alright, I’m at a point where I can procedurally a star system in which gravitational interactions are calculated and carried out. I call it “10 Parsecs”.
What you may notice from this description is that it’s not a game yet, but a simulation. I need to fit a game in to this thing or I have nothing.
This is why I turn to you, comrades. I was thinking about something like “Elite” for the BBC Micro, but I’m lukewarm about this idea at best. Please share with me your ideas on where to go from here.
Here’s a picture: