About wizbane

Entries

 
Ludum Dare 24
 
Ludum Dare 19

wizbane's Trophies

wizbane's Archive

I’m In

Posted by
Friday, December 13th, 2013 12:41 pm

Here are the tools I’ll be using:

Engine/Editor: Unity3D (Free) / Monodevelop
3D: Blender
2D: Photoshop / Illustrator
Audio: BFXR, Ableton Live, Garage Band(iOS), Figure(iOS), Audacity
Timelapse: Chronolapse (possibly)

I’m In

Posted by
Friday, April 26th, 2013 11:06 am

I’m in for my 4th Ludum Dare. I’m going to shoot for the Compo deadline, but due to some other commitments, I may have to extend that to the Jam.

I’ve been getting pretty comfortable with CreateJS for my 1GAM games and will most likely be using that again.

Here’s what tools I expect to use:

  • Language: HTML/CSS/Javascript
  • Libraries: Jquery, CreateJS (preload, easel, & sound)
  • IDE: PhpStorm
  • Level Editing: Tiled Map Editor
  • Graphics: Photoshop/Illustrator
  • Sounds/Music: BFXR, Audacity, GarageBand (iPad), Animoog (iPad)

I’m In!

Posted by
Wednesday, August 22nd, 2012 9:28 am

This will be my 3rd time participating in Ludum Dare, I didn’t finish last time, but I’m going to try to keep the scope super small and get all the main parts of the game down before I think up too many additional gameplay ideas.

Here’s what I’m planning on using:
Tech/libraries: HTML/CSS/JS, WebGL, Three.js, or the CreateJS suite.
Audio: Sfxr/bfxr, Audacity, Musagi, Adobe Soundbooth.
Graphics: Pixen, Illustrator, Photoshop, Blender.

I’m in!

Posted by
Thursday, April 19th, 2012 9:38 pm

This will be my second time participating in the compo. I’m hoping to keep scope very small so I can actually have a complete game with sound, music and proper title/end screens this time around. This will be my first time coding a html5 canvas game, so it should be a bit of a learning experience.

Language: HTML + CSS + JS

Framework: Easel.js and possibly other parts of the create.js suite

Editor: notepad++

Audio: sfxr/bfxr, musagi, garage band, audacity

Graphics: photoshop, illustrator

Wizbane’s Planet 53 + post mortem

Posted by
Sunday, December 19th, 2010 11:00 pm

LD19 was a blast! I got a decent gameplay prototype complete, and I’m really excited to take it further. I thought I’d share some my some concept sketches and what I learned from the process.

My initial concept for the game:

“You’re a mercenary hired by a scientific group flying around the universe trying to discover some secret of the universe (unknown for most of the game) Each level/zone is a new planet. You crash down in a drop ship, and have to find a particular item, or collect samples etc. Once you have a sample, you have to carry it back to your drop ship, and get picked up by the mothership.

As you collect the items, the team of scientists your working for is assembling the pieces into some sorta device. It initially sounds like they are making something to save humanity or some noble goal. But once you have found all of the pieces, you find out what they’re really up to…”

I knew I wanted to make a platformer/metroidvania style game and I thought the mechanic of having to carry a fragile item around for a while could add interesting gameplay challenges. So I started on some basic concept sketches for my main character, enemies, and an opening level scene:

mercenary
monster concepts
opening scene

From there I dove right into Game maker, working on getting basic platformer functionality. I made sprites for all of the enemies and player right away, though not fully animated, instead of using placeholder graphics. This allowed me to get the right collision boxes and movement speeds set up right away, and when I went back to animate I knew approximately how detailed I needed to make the animations. I could get away with only 1 additional frame for the slug creature since it almost looked ok with only 1 frame.

placeholder tiles = bad

placeholder tiles = bad

I should have taken the time to make a decent tileset early on, since I knew that time was short and that any art asset I made would most likely get used in the final game, however most of development was done using simple gray boxes. I had to scramble to make a decent looking tileset in the last hour, and I wasn’t able to create many levels, and the one I did make was just thrown together pretty randomly. I should have made a workable tileset initially, and used the playtesting during development to home in on a decent level design.

I spent a fair amount of the development time working on refining the animations, damage, and stun/bounce. I’m really glad I was able to get the separate animation state for picking up the vial completed, at least it hints at the “discovery” theme. I’m most happy with the way the visuals turned out, and when I get a little more experienced with programming I’ll be able to add some better gameplay. I achieved my goal of making a playable game for the competition, even if it is lacking a plot, or any real ending.

the end! sort of.

Give it a try and let me know what you think!

First LD – I’m in.

Posted by
Wednesday, December 15th, 2010 6:00 pm

This will be my first time participating in an LD. I’m going to try not to get too crazy and stay up for 48 hrs or anything… I’m just looking to get something playable and hopefully fun completed.

Tools I plan on using:

Code/Tech: Gamemaker. I’m and artist/designer primarily, so I’m gonna take it easy on the code side of things. Depending on the topic, I may try a JS engine like Akihabara or SpriteJS. Notepad++ for any code editing.

Graphics: Photoshop

Sound: SFXR / Musagi / Audacity

[cache: storing page]