About TheBenjaneer

Entries

 
Ludum Dare 26

TheBenjaneer's Trophies

TheBenjaneer's Archive

Barely Finished!

Posted by
Monday, April 29th, 2013 7:25 pm

My Audio guys came through at the last minute to get the Easter-egg/gag audio ready!
I patched a few bugs and setup icons and other polish.

So happy I finished!

Thanks everyone 😀

Update

Posted by
Sunday, April 28th, 2013 2:55 pm

 

We have Audio and a Splash Screen now (and at least a working title, if not name )! 😀

I worked with one of my friends (not sure what he wants to go by on here, and he’s left so i’ll just be sure to give him credit when i submit) on the audio and setup a splash screen, improved the physics and then started expanding the level. I also added messages displayed at the top of the screen and a timer.

More on all of that later; I have more to do.

Splash screen works. :D

Splash screen works. :D

Posted by
Saturday, April 27th, 2013 7:27 pm

Basic Physics Work, sprites are loading, hats are turning, things are accelerating/decelerating… hopefully should turn out nice 😀

 

EarlyScreenShot

Concepts

Posted by
Saturday, April 27th, 2013 5:09 am

So last night i stayed up late with some friends and hashed out the concept to our plans for an entry, we looked up the definition of minimalism and decided to come up with a game type and try to keep only the necessary bits in it…

So the plan is that you play as a runner, who has to escape the little (red ) AI and not die in any of the traps (the little blue figure is the player ).

I like it enough that i started to setup the sprites as well before catching some sleep.

Thoughts? :

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Can Anyone Please Help? (SFML)

Posted by
Saturday, April 20th, 2013 9:20 am
Help Plox!

Why does this happen?

***EDIT:

The first comment here seems to confirm Stingray Polymathic’s (Thanks again!) description of the issue:

http://www.sfml-dev.org/old-forum/viewtopic.php?t=6665&sid=29867a0656278d75e3daec10b7417b8b

I’ll go see about adding in a floor() method to see if that solves things.

EDIT***

*****
Edit
2:
Floor() ‘ing and position update values did the trick for now, and seems to be the best way to handle pixel perfect rendering ( which in retrospect, is rather obvious).
******

Click for a better look at it. It’s a very small 128 x 128 px sprite which should be rendered at a 1:1 scale from my understanding, but for some reason is occasionally distorted. The blue ‘eyes’ are the wrong size and the red triangle looks off if you look at it closely. It might not seem bad looking at the picture, but it’s been annoying.

Background info:

I’m rendering an sf::Sprite in my update loop in a  sf::RenderWindow, with the texture from a png file. Everything seems fine usually, but sometimes the sprites seem to distort a bit. As you can see from the clipped screenshots in the background the sprite usually looks the same, but occasionally looks like it does in the running window.

Vsync is enabled, and the top middle yellow text is from a very simple frame rate display i wrote, the top right is from fraps.

If it helps, i use SFML 2.0 rc and you can find all of my library code & the sfml binaries here:

https://bitbucket.org/TheBenjaneer/libnucleode

I have no idea why this happens. It seems random.
Further, until I move the sprite, it continues to be distorted in exactly the same way every frame.

OpenGl 4.3 Context according to my logs. Anti-aliasing is at 8. depth bits at 24.

Nvidia GTX 550 ti, driver v 314.22 (latest)

Windows 7 x64 bit ( engine is built/running 32 bit though ).

Any help, tips, or pointers would  be vastly appreciated.
Thank you!
-ben

I’m In! (Hopefully)

Posted by
Sunday, April 14th, 2013 8:23 pm

This will be my first ludum dare (jam) hopefully, so long as life & homework don’t get in the way. I’m a senior in high school (almost done, GT this fall whoo!), and i’ve worked with quite a  few programming languages and most freely available game engines, but i’ve never really released much of anything so that’ll be new for me. I’ll be working hard (and have been) my c++ library and engine [‘Nucleode’] (library here: https://bitbucket.org/TheBenjaneer/libnucleode ). I currently use sfml, and depending on how things go i may use angelscript as far as other libraries go. I’ll be targeting windows/linux, and if i can get my hands on a mac i’ll attempt a port.

I’ll be using notepad++/gedit/kate for my Ide, a shell with my buildtool for building, log files from the engine for debug, and probably paint.net for graphics.

For audio i’m thinking sfxr and bfxr as well as possibly lmms or fl studio and audacity.

Other possible tools include gimp, inkscape, blender, and any of the tools listed on the ludum dare tools page.

Good luck everyone, and have fun!

[cache: storing page]