About tanis

Entries

 
Ludum Dare 35
 
Ludum Dare 34

tanis's Trophies

tanis's Archive

GattoMagico is up and running

Posted by
Sunday, April 17th, 2016 11:18 am

I managed to get my little entry for LD35 up and running.

You can play it right there: http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-35/?action=preview&uid=48604

LD35-gameplay-02

I’d really love to get some comments!

Here’s what the game is about:

You are a stray cat with super-powers!!
A horde of rats is chasing you and you must make your way through different levels and reach the end.
You can shapeshift between three different shapes:

– the fat ROUND cat, whose super power is being extremely goot at eating snacks!
– the SQUARE cat, able to shoot fishes at doors to bash them open
– the TRIANGLE cat, the fastest and fiercest of them all. He can freeze the rats tailing you!

GattoMagico gameplay

Music done

Posted by
Sunday, April 17th, 2016 9:26 am

While I’m trying to get a little build up and running for friends to start testing, I’ve uploaded the scores of my LD35 entry there:

Intro
Menu
Level

Forks and Porks Post Mortem

Posted by
Friday, December 18th, 2015 12:00 pm

This is my first Ludum Dare and I have to admit that it’s been fun but hard at the same time.
I wanted to ship something and here’s the result:

http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-34/?action=preview&uid=48604

Here are some random facts about what went wrong and what went right:

  • I wanted to try a different framework. I usually work with Unity, but I felt I owed to give the latest framework from Mike a go and see if I could make something with it. So I set myself on making a game with MonoGame + Nez. The good is that I’m familiar with C# so code was flowing quite easily. On the other hand, I had to deal with the Pipeline Tool of MonoGame that I didn’t know as well as I should have before venturing further.
  • MonoGame is good, but it’s not so easy to make a portable game. I worked on Mac and ported it to Windows at the end, and I faced some issues with the stable version of MG using some DLLs that were not included in the final build of the game. That took a few hours to figure out.
  • Nez is a wonderful framework and it made it quick and easy to work with 2D from a programmer’s point of view. Did I mention that I can code, but that I can’t draw? :)
  • I wish I had a web target. It would have been a lot quicker to get things up and running for everyone with something that doesn’t require to pack up the game and distribute it before people can actually play.
  • I settled for simple sprites with no animations. All animations are just stretches and particles handled by code. It really helped in cutting down the time I spent creating the assets
  • Making the sound effects has been a lot of fun. If you’re wondering where I took them.. well.. I didn’t. It’s just me and my wife screaming like a pork and mumbling like a farmer 😀
  • I made some beginners mistakes and I completely forgot about some of the basics about communicating back to the user when he’s doing something right and when he’s not. I should have put more attention in the details, but they completely slipped under my fingers
  • I wanted the final game to have different levels subdivided in waves that become harder as you progress. I wanted to have bonuses like crates that spawn for a brief time and that you have to click as quickly as possible to pick up. I wanted to have some background music. I just didn’t make it all in time.

Something is moving

Posted by
Saturday, December 12th, 2015 3:46 pm

I managed to get some basic gameplay working so far, and that’s good :)

I still need to do lots of stuff though.. some decent gfx, audio, some more gameplay stuff, loads of particles.. 😉

But considering this is my first LD entry I’m already satisfied I got this far.

[cache: storing page]