Ludum Dare 32
Ludum Dare 29
Ludum Dare 28
Ludum Dare 27
Ludum Dare 26
Ludum Dare 26 Warmup
Ludum Dare 25
Ludum Dare 23
Ludum Dare 23 Warmup
Ludum Dare 22
Top 3% in audio/music
Top 4% in graphics
Top 5% overall.
I made it onto the top 100. I am consistently in the top 10%, so I know I don’t fluke-out on my results like many do.
I still feel like an utter failure…
I want to improve. I want to be better than good, I want to be great.
What do YOU think I can do to improve my results?
Here’s an example of a game that did WAY better than me
What makes this game better than mine?
What went wrong
– Tiled: I’ve never used this tool before and it was a jack-ass idea to think I should use it and not expect to be slowed down.
– My custom tool kit had no map import functionality. I had to spend a few hours implementing one.
– My custom engine was missing depth sorting and I had to write that too
– I didn’t warm up. Normally I do a few things including a walk animation and a complete run-through of all my tools culminating in a small and complete warm up game. Not this time.
– Animation: I didn’t warm up and my animations sucked deluxe and took way too long to make.
– Animation tool: My animation preview tool is a bit clumsy and awkward and made it take a little longer to complete a nice animation. I wish GIMP just had decent animation features.
– Time management: I promised myself a game that I could complete in 10 hours then ‘polish up’ on day 2. Although I completed the game 5 hours before submission, I was still doing basic polish items to the bitter end.
– Content: I wanted my game to have three levels. One inside the church where the player is exposed to the love-bombing concept. The third would be a ‘boss battle’.
– Beginning & Ending: I didn’t have time to replace the place-holders. I wanted to tell more of a story with the game flow.
– Animation pace: Normally I like to pace out animations. Incorporate more visual and audio feedback. For example when you are converted I would have liked a bit of an animation and delay before the scissor transition to the next scene.
– Police nets: I didn’t get to implement that. So the tanks just run around
– The level was too big!
– Sleep: It was too hot and I had too little work completed. I slept 11 hours night 1 and then had a very unsatisfying 3 hour nap on the last day.
– Graphics: I spent too much ‘think time’ on details. I should have worked more on graphics and music when my brain was fried rather than wasting my highest cognitive resources on something I don’t need a ton of brain power to do.
What went right
– Dot eater: I went in thinking “I’m going to make a very simple dot eater or a basic brick smasher”. It helped to have something I knew I could complete in a very short period of time.
– 10 hours or less: My idea was to make a game in 10 hours or less. That didn’t happen, though I am certainly capable of doing that.
– Retro Flow API: My custom API stood its ground pretty good. I didn’t waste time importing resources or doing stupid tasks because my Retro Flow API automated a lot of that process.
Feedback I got
– The level was too big. There was too much content to fill. I think this is my biggest lesson. I could have done a lot more with less.
– The ending was lame: I am all too aware
– Cathartic input: People told me the controls are cathartic and lots of people were actually compelled to complete the game. That to me is a huge LD accomplishment because you play so many games that it’s not always easy to plow through them.
Some of my favorite titles so far. Please share your favorites too!
by francoisvn – Compo Entry
It’s fun. It’s a good puzzle every time. I played it for 15 minutes before deciding I needed to move on.
by hexagore – Compo Entry
It’s very pretty. That’s the main things that stuck out here.
by KeyboardCat – Compo Entry
It presented well. The game play is instantly obvious and the visual feedback is great. The animations are exciting and interesting.
I was trying to go easy this time around.
It’s not as polished as I wanted it to be, but it’s okay.
I wanted to have something ‘done in 10 hours’ that I could add content to but it still wound up taking me to the bitter end.
I promised myself I would make a dot-eater game that would be finished, complete with sound effects on day 1 and pure polishing on day 2. I guess the Pope of Nope has spoken again.
It’s a silly thing to do, but I’ve never used Tiled for a project before.
43 hours remain…
Taking a smoke break.
3 hours 23 minutes in. I think that’s more than enough drawing and detail for the time being…
It’s a start.. I’m not planning on going too hard this time around.
Obligatory, out-dated “I’m in”. Using my Retro Flow API for AS3 as usual. It’s available somewhere-or-other on the net. I don’t remember where, I can’t be bothered.
Well, instead of Ludum Dare I did OrcaJam. It was my first real-live game jam and it was great! I met some awesome like-minded people for the first time in my life and I made a pretty cool game in 48 hours too.
For some reason I make a lot of games that are about drugs and beating people up… I may need help.
I’m just not feeling inspired by the theme. I’m finding myself wanting to be doing anything but Ludum Dare which is not typical of my LD experience. 12 hours in and all I have is a crappy mock-up and still no solid idea of what I want the game to be. Looks like I’m out…