Okay, well. This is awkward. My game was literally on the verge of being done when it broke. Just completely and utterly broke. I spent hoursd trying to find why, but to no avail. So, it appears I did make SOMETHING, since that WAS my goal, but it’s in a barely playable condition. And, fittingly, my game’s title was called Broken. Well, it was fun, I suppose. Here’s what went right and what didn’t.
What went Right
Good theme- I’m really good at atmosphiric-y stuff, so I knew this was the perfect theme. I had a good (but short) plotline and storyboard planned out perfectly. Unfortunately, things sortof went downhil from there.
What went Wrong
Poor Planning- Yeah, I didn’t plan well. Let’s be honest. I only somewhat knew my tools. And somewhat knowing your tools isn’t going to make you a game. Granted, it will make you a game, but maybe not one you’re proud of.
It’s not a feature, it’s a game breaking bug- Yes, the bugs were definately game breaking for me. Since I only somewhat knew my tools, I couldn’t diagnose what was going wrong and as a result spent many countless hours trying to fix it. (About half the time I was awake.)
Life- The biggest thing that got me was life. Even though I entered in the Jam, everything fell apart on the last day (today.) From finding out my game spazzes out every time you switch scenes, to having to spend 3 hours not diagnosing your game, to even spending 12+ hours trying to diagnose your game, nothing went well. At all.
I hope you all learned a lesson from me. Every wrong thing stemed from poor planning. Nothing went well. If you don’t learn anything, atleast remember this: Planning is EVERYTHING.
That said, I’m already prepping for LD 23. Good job everyone who participated (and those who still are) and holycrapwebroke700.