Ludum Dare 19
Ludum Dare 18
Ludum Dare 17
Ludum Dare 15
The design of the game is fairly defined at this point. The basic idea is that we control a character who has a fortress, and the fortress is surrounded by wilderness on all sides. We split our time between defense and exploration. The wilderness is occupied by various small enemies, as well as large enemies and enemy fortresses, both of which yield new components.
There are several levels of stationary turrets to discover. There are also replacement cores (which increase the fortress’s component cap), as well as stationary creature pumps which create little swarms of friendly critters. I’m also thinking about a few other ideas, such as minefields and fortifications of various sorts. Moats? Hmm…
Here’s where things stand right now. It doesn’t look like much yet!
I spent a terrifyingly long time doing basic systems stuff, but finally I’m starting to make tangible progress. Currently there are a movable player and a camera which tracks said player. There are also a set of entities scattered around the landscape. These entities are patiently waiting until they gain the ability to meander about under their own steam.
This time I have no other obligations, so I’ll have a chance to make a proper game. Hurrah! I’m looking forward to this.
I’ll be hanging out in the IRC channel. It will be fun to see everyone’s entries progress over the course of the weekend, and I look forward to all the ensuing craziness.
I’ll be using Flash, and coding in FlashDevelop, with GIMP for any sprites I end up needing. I may do synthesized sound, and if not then I’ll end up using sfxr and Audacity. I’m not using much in the way of pre-existing code, just a simple input class and some really basic UI managers:
Here is my completed entry for Ludum Dare 17. You can play on the web here:
It’s a simple puzzle game in which we navigate a growing worm through a set of narrow passages. The controls are explained in the game. Do let me know if you have any suggestions feedback, or find any bugs. Now I can go play other people’s games!
Almost there. I’d better upload this thing… anyway here’s a final screenshot!
Pipe rendering is now in, though I realize it will be pretty crazy to animate this due to the number of different permutations (4x number of frames for straight sections isn’t bad, but add that to 8x number of frames for corners and it gets scary). Perhaps rendering the worm as a series of overlapping segments would have been a more reasonable way to go
Due to limited time this weekend, the basics of the game are working but I haven’t done any assets yet. I just got the puzzle loader working- the puzzles are loaded from .png files, with different colors becoming different tile types or entities.
I’m pretty busy this weekend, but I intend to participate. I’ll be using Flash, and reusing the same basic template as I used last time (some basic scratch written UI and input stuff, simple blitting, and sound).
As an interesting twist, this Ludum Dare I won’t have internet access for the first few hours of my effort. I’ll be working blind, and hopefully I’ll be able to apply whatever I come up with to the theme once I find out what that is .
It’s neither well coded nor robust, but circle versus circle and circle versus line collision response are now working well enough to continue prototyping. I’m going to put a bit more time into getting the physics working, then I should be ready to begin testing a few puzzle ideas.
Well, I doubt I’ll have anything like a game done within the allotted 48 hours, but here’s a playable test:
And here’s a screen shot:
I don’t have a lot of time free this weekend, so I’m doing a split Saturday + Monday 48 hour block.
I’m thinking of prototyping a game I’ve wanted to develop for a while. The basic idea is that there are a number of attractive / repulsive balls in an environment. Each surface in the environment, as well as each ball, has a polarity (somewhat like gravity, or electrostatic charge). Like states repell, opposite states attract. A ball’s polarity can be flipped by pressing a corresponding key. We can’t move the balls directly, but by altering their polarity we can push or pull them using nearby objects.
Here’s my initial screen shot