Ludum Dare 23
About SidetrackGames (twitter: @FredFors)
I'm a game design student, with a lot of passion for this medium. This is my first Ludum Dare, and lovin' it already!
Time to wrap it up with a little summary of my weekend and my entry; Lost Oxide. I’ll give ya’ll a little feel of the whole development process below.
First i can explain the setting and the foundational concept! The theme was “Tiny World”. After some hours of brainstorming, i ended up with this:
- - You control a surrealistic character which resides inside a blood cell
- - Within each blood cell of our body, there is a tiny litte world
- - These worlds vary in size (different levels)
- - Blood cells real function is to deliver oxygen around the body. So..
- - The character in the game’s function is to gather the oxygen bubbles within a blood cell, so that the blood cell can successfully do its job.
The first thing i did was to actually make the animations for the character. This was an odd choice of priority, but i just recently borrowed an animation book (The animators survival kit), and thought i’d attempt to make my first animation a good one!
Heres the initial sketch. I thought the character turned out to look like a rabbit – which was not intentional.
I gave the character a facelift and added some lights out of his belly/eyes. Here is the finished version!
As previously posted, i started with paper design. Here is an image of the initial sketch of the level!
Then i mapped the level out in the lovely tool, Construct 2. This is purely for collision, and the red blocks are static hazards! Before i started on the art, i tweaked the controls and the foundational gameplay in this environment.
Then i had to start thinking about the art. I thought about my theme and setting, and made a “mood board”. These turned out to be the colors i used, sort of my palette.
The first thing i did was to create the base layer, which would appear to be the walls, floors and roofs. It was all put together with a few sprites, and some additional detail sprites.
The next thing i wanted to add was the background elements. This consist of 3 layers, all parallax. They were tweaked to have different parallax values, so that they moved a bit differnetly on each layer.
Next thing i did was to start experimenting with lights and lighting. I have never done anything like this before, so this was a lot of trial and error. The concept is very simple – white sprites on a black layer, which is then masked out. Some of the light sprites is static and some has a few frames of animation, making it appear more dynamic.
In the end it turned out quite nice – visually. I wish i spent more time tweaking the controls, the movement, everything gameplay related. The level itself seemed fine, but the various hazards in the level was sort of a “last-minute-slap-on”, thus making its placement far from optimal.
Thanks for all the warm comments on my entry page, i greatly appreciate it. If you like what i do, check out my start-up indie company’s website as well!
After about 20 hours of dev time, its complete! I spent too much time socializing/sleeping, and i see that i definitely should have slept less!
Alot of introductional features didnt get in, as well as polish. For example, notice when holding bubbles, that its just floating on the player! The menu screen and the music was done within the last hour, which might be obvious when you see it..
Other than that, i hope you enjoy it! I definitely look forward to do some further work on the concept.
Check out the website of my start-up indie studio. I’ll take the concept further, so check in there to see updates!
Thought i’d share yet another screenshot before i go to bed, kind of a lucky snapshot.
Into the darkness we go..