About sev_inf (twitter: @SevInf)
Ludum Dare 28
Ludum Dare 27
Ludum Dare 25
Ludum Dare 24
At the last minute Fat-Guy-In-Batman-Costume-Man saves the con!
Can you do the same? Find out by following a link.
Good time of day, landlubbers!
Captain Ulfgar Torrent had arrived to Ludum Dare Bay.
Take as much illegal content as your ship is able to carry! Send this media corporations to the bottom of the ocean! Show him who is the real owner of the digital sea!
Today Captain torrent had first successful battle!
Then he had a second battle! And a third! And a fourth! And so on…
Every game needs a good looking UI, nice sounds and balanced gameplay, even game for such bastard as our captain. So, all his loyal crew will spend whole last day of the jam on this task.
Hello, fellow ludumdarers!
Today we brought to the event a special guest: captain Ulfgar Torrent.
Mister U.Torrent is not a welcome guest by the way – he is one of the greatest pirates of the media age, scoundrel and notorious villain. If your ship’s holds filled up to the top by music, films or video games – be sure, Torrent will be nearby and you should fight very hard to protect your valuable cargo.
Captain Torrent’s ship is powered by cocos2d engine, assembled in CocosBuilder shipyard by me, sev_inf. The official stylist of the captain is KillToLive and the costume is sewed in GIMP. The favorite music of our villain is written by s.botichelli.
Hi everyone! sev_inf (programmer, that did almost everything wrong) and KillToLive (artist, that did almost everything right) here and its time for our Super Darwin post-mortem.
First of all we would like to thank to everyone who played and rated game, your feedback was really great!
So, what went right:
- graphics – a lot of people liked game art and the design of the game page;
- having a base code – allowed us to start creating the game as soon as we chosen the idea;
- idea – we pretty quickly decided what we’ll be building and a lot of people loved our version Charles Darwin story;
- features cutoff – initially we planed to do a lot more stuff, but when we realized that we can’t get everything in time we dropped few of our ideas and spent the last day trying to make game to feel complete, and we think we did it right.
- game is beatable, despite its difficulty.
Things that went neither right, nor wrong:
- game engine – I’ve chosen cocos2d-html5 because I had previous experience with cocos2d-html5. In many ways this was right solution, but html5 version was in alpha stage during LD, so I spent few hours fighting wis game engine bugs;
And now, things that went wrong:
- don’t having a collisions code in my base code repository – I spend almost all first day implementing the collisions;
- jump physics – a lot of people complaint about it and we don’t like it either;
- combat – it is difficult to figure out cane attack range, in few places Darwin lacks ability to duck;
- enemy placement – lot of enemies are difficult or impossible to avoid;
- difficulty – previous two items combined + lack of the continues or checkpoints.
We’ll definitely participate in future LD. Here are few tips for the next time:
- make a much easier game;
- probably, try different game engine;
- try to implement all game features during the first day and spend the rest of the time on level design and polishing;
- and don’t forget about AZERTY and QWERTZ keyboards.
We’ve finally done! Hope you enjoy Charles Darwin journey!
Day one is over for us. What have been done:
- animated sprite of Charles Darwin;
- tiles of jungle and cave;
- collision detection.
The hardest part was surprisingly collisions – I’ve spent almost all day debugging it. Also, for now game crashes in FF for some reason, and have no idea how to fix it. Now I’m going to sleep – hope tomorrow I’ll be able to complete the game to some playable state.
We will be building browser HTML5 game again. Set of the tools we will be using are pretty much the same as for previous game:
I’ve put some basic code for integrating this two libraries on my github, you may use it if you want to go with the same libraries as I.
- MS Paint;
- Tiled (if needed);
Btw, can anybody suggest some good timelapse recording app for Mac? Thanks in advance.